Author Topic: Fantasy Baseball 2012 Advice Thread  (Read 2859 times)

Offline outofplace

Fantasy Baseball 2012 Advice Thread
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »
Time to start this one up again?

Why? Because keeper leagues are already running into their cut-down days. Including mine.

I'm in a 10-team mixed keeper league. Each team is allowed to protect 14 players. No restrictions. I've been set on my top 11 for a while. Still a little unsettled on the last three spots.

My sure things
Joe Mauer
Miguel Cabrera
Brett Lawrie
Ben Zobrist
Troy Tulowitzki
Hunter Pence
Felix Hernandez
Zack Greinke
Ian Kennedy
C.J. Wilson
Adam Wainwright

I've got six guys I'm considering for the last two spots. I'd like to keep at least one more pitcher.
Lance Berkman
Drew Stubbs
Chris Young
Danny Espinosa
Joakim Soria
Doug Fister

I think moving back to first base could help Berkman. It also helps me that he would retain outfield eligibility.

I don't have to keep Espinosa to be covered at 2B since Zobrist is eligible there.

Soria worries me a bit. Not only were his numbers off last year, but so was his velocity. That said, I don't know that I have another pitcher worth keeping. I like Fister, but I doubt he can come close to last year and the Tigers' infield defense could be horrible.

So, which three would you keep?
"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin

"If somebody was hurtin’ them, I’d drop napalm on Yellowstone to get ‘em to stop. Letting some prisoners out of jail wouldn’t be nothin’ and I’ve known my kids for about 45 minutes." - Toby Ziegler on fatherhood.

Offline dooley_womack1

• Just as good a spring
Re: Fantasy Baseball 2012 Advice Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:03:21 AM »
My fantasy advice: realize that nobody gives a fuck about your fantasy team.[/spnited]
"If she has a shiny fleur-de-lis on her ass, you may not even have to buy her dinner."--Freqposter

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed.

"Bubbler: 'Dick Whitman: Stop Reading Slate' "--Bubbler

Online LongTimeListener

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
Thank you for reminding me how much I have enjoyed baseball since I stopped playing fantasy after the 2002 season.

Offline outofplace

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
Yeah, yeah...get it out of your systems.

This thread usually gets a little life in it in March, then goes away during the season. But hey, just for you two, maybe I'll keep bumping it.

"If somebody was hurtin’ them, I’d drop napalm on Yellowstone to get ‘em to stop. Letting some prisoners out of jail wouldn’t be nothin’ and I’ve known my kids for about 45 minutes." - Toby Ziegler on fatherhood.

Offline Herbert Anchovy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »
I don't play anymore, but Arizona Chris Young seems to have rediscovered what he lost.

Stubbs strikes out too much.

Offline Bristol Whipped

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
I would go with Berkman and Soria.
CALVIN: "You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood."
HOBBES: "What mood is that?"
CALVIN: "Last-minute panic."

Offline podunk press

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:39:27 AM »
Berkman, Soria, Young if you want power and low average, Stubbs if you want steals and low average.

Young also isn't playing for Dusty Baker, so he also has that going for him.

Offline Dick Whitman

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »
OOP: Is it an auction or draft league? That plays into it, obviously. I'm guessing draft because I don't see salaries listed.

I'm in an auction keeper A.L.-only league with some convoluted salary rules.

It's tough, to say the least. I need to do a better job preparing for it this year.

Offline TheWritingWaffle

• I am the danger
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:54:49 AM »
If your starting pitching wasn't already deep I'd say Berkman and Fister (But I don't even Knower).

Actually, stay with those two. Maybe I'm alone in the Fister fan-boy ness, but his strikeouts/walks ratio continues to go up and all the good lineup in the AL Central is in Detroit. He's real if you expect Seattle stats (outside of the W-L) and not the Detroit ones.

Soria is my third place person, but I feel your concerns there enough to suggest Berkman and Fister.
When life hands you lemons, just say "Fuck the lemons!" and bail.

Offline outofplace

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
This is a draft, not an auction.

I actually did strongly consider Fister. I just don't see him maintaining what he did last year, especially with a brutal infield defense behind him.

Thanks for all the help. Went with Berkman, Soria and Young. Funny thing is Young being the "safe" option given how streaky he can be, but I really think Stubbs is a bad April away from the Reds' bench.

Offline Dick Whitman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
Thoughts on Neftali Feliz this year?

I have him at $14 right now in an A.L. auction keeper league and have to decide whether to keep him or drop him over the next few days.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:05:23 AM by Dick Whitman »

Online bigpern23

• Cuz she's got a GREAT ASS!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
I haven't really started my homework for fantasy season yet, but I do have the top pick in the draft. Should I be worried about Pujols moving to a new league and park? Will Cabrera or Prince's numbers spike because they'll be batting next each other in the lineup this season?
"When life gives you lemons, just say, 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail."

"50 years from now when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?"

"I'm a print journalist ... I already drank it all."

Uncle.Ruckus

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
The top pick WAS Braun, until he became a cheater. I think Cabrera is a safer pick than Pujols.

YGBFKM

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
I'm in a league where I get to keep 18 players. The draft is gonna be awesome!

Offline Dick Whitman

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
I'm in a league where I get to keep 18 players. The draft is gonna be awesome!

This is no lie: In my A.L.-only keeper league, with a small reserve roster for each team on top of its active roster, every person who is a starter for his team, including all pitchers, end up on someone's fantasy roster. Every single one, along with most utility infielders and fourth outfielders.

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »
Hey, Dick ... draft Nick Punto!!!
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline outofplace

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »
I haven't really started my homework for fantasy season yet, but I do have the top pick in the draft. Should I be worried about Pujols moving to a new league and park? Will Cabrera or Prince's numbers spike because they'll be batting next each other in the lineup this season?

I would take Cabrera over Pujols, just because he will be adding eligibility at third base. That versatility is great to have, especially with your first pick. It gives you more flexibility as you put your team together.

Offline outofplace

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »
The top pick WAS Braun, until he became a cheater. I think Cabrera is a safer pick than Pujols.

Cabrera is a recovering alcoholic. Better skip him.

Pujols has been accused of cheating, too. Sure, nobody can prove it. But they can't prove it with Braun, either.

Joe Torre didn't like Matt Kemp, so there must be something wrong with him.

Jose Bautista? More juice accusations.

Troy Tulowitzki? Coors Field inflates his numbers. That's cheating, too, right?

I'm fairly certain that Nate McLouth is clean. There's your first pick. Enjoy last place.

Offline Dick Whitman

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 11:45:27 AM »

Pujols has been accused of cheating, too. Sure, nobody can prove it. But they can't prove it with Braun, either.

I'm fairly certain that Nate McLouth is clean. There's your first pick. Enjoy last place.

I don't think he was making a moral objection to drafting Braun.

Offline outofplace

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »

Not sure there is another reason to downgrade Braun. I guess maybe fear that he was dirty and will now try to play clean. My guess is if he was cheating, he will continue to find a way to do so.

Sure, I included a dose of snark, but the point is, you can't really worry about what you think of players as people if you want to win your fantasy league, something many people do.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:28:28 PM by outofplace »

Uncle.Ruckus

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »

You are correct.

Offline Della9250

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
It looks like I will have two spots open for a 12-team Yahoo keeper league that is entering its fourth year of play. You would be inheriting the rosters. We have 30-man rosters and you will be able to keep 10.

The draft is scheduled for the afternoon of March 18.

If you would be interested, yet me know.

Online bigpern23

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »

Not sure there is another reason to downgrade Braun. I guess maybe fear that he was dirty and will now try to play clean. My guess is if he was cheating, he will continue to find a way to do so.

Sure, I included a dose of snark, but the point is, you can't really worry about what you think of players as people if you want to win your fantasy league, something many people do.

Not because of moral judgements but there are reasons to downgrade Braun. You have to wonder how he'll handle the scrutiny and questions. Baseball players' personal lives often creep into their performance. Will MLB pursue an appeal and win? How will he fare without Fielder in the lineup? None of those things may affect his performance, but any or all of them could so it's wise to at least consider them.

In general, I prefer to pick steroid users, actually. That shit works! :D

"50 years from now when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?"

Offline outofplace

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »

Not because of moral judgements but there are reasons to downgrade Braun. You have to wonder how he'll handle the scrutiny and questions. Baseball players' personal lives often creep into their performance. Will MLB pursue an appeal and win? How will he fare without Fielder in the lineup? None of those things may affect his performance, but any or all of them could so it's wise to at least consider them.

The loss of Fielder is a separate issue. Ruckus said he downgraded Braun based on the suspension, not the loss of Fielder.

You do raise a good point about having to handle the extra scrutiny.

Online bigpern23

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

The loss of Fielder is a separate issue. Ruckus said he downgraded Braun based on the suspension, not the loss of Fielder.

You do raise a good point about having to handle the extra scrutiny.

Yeah, I think it'll make for an interesting storyline to follow this season. I don't know much about Braun's personality. I wonder if he's the type of player who will come out with a chip on his shoulder, pissed off and ready to stick the test and subsequent leak up everyone's ass or if he'll shrink under all the scrutiny.

You're right on Ruckus, I was just offering several reasons to be cautious about drafting Braun.