1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2012 Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 15, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Time to start this one up again?

Why? Because keeper leagues are already running into their cut-down days. Including mine.

I'm in a 10-team mixed keeper league. Each team is allowed to protect 14 players. No restrictions. I've been set on my top 11 for a while. Still a little unsettled on the last three spots.

My sure things
    Joe Mauer
    Miguel Cabrera
    Brett Lawrie
    Ben Zobrist
    Troy Tulowitzki
    Hunter Pence
    Felix Hernandez
    Zack Greinke
    Ian Kennedy
    C.J. Wilson
    Adam Wainwright

I've got six guys I'm considering for the last two spots. I'd like to keep at least one more pitcher.
    Lance Berkman
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Young
    Danny Espinosa
    Joakim Soria
    Doug Fister

I think moving back to first base could help Berkman. It also helps me that he would retain outfield eligibility.

I don't have to keep Espinosa to be covered at 2B since Zobrist is eligible there.

Soria worries me a bit. Not only were his numbers off last year, but so was his velocity. That said, I don't know that I have another pitcher worth keeping. I like Fister, but I doubt he can come close to last year and the Tigers' infield defense could be horrible.

So, which three would you keep?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My fantasy advice: realize that nobody gives a fuck about your fantasy team.[/spnited]

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Thank you for reminding me how much I have enjoyed baseball since I stopped playing fantasy after the 2002 season.

4. outofplace

Yeah, yeah...get it out of your systems.

This thread usually gets a little life in it in March, then goes away during the season. But hey, just for you two, maybe I'll keep bumping it.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't play anymore, but Arizona Chris Young seems to have rediscovered what he lost.

Stubbs strikes out too much.

6. I would go with Berkman and Soria.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Berkman, Soria, Young if you want power and low average, Stubbs if you want steals and low average.

Young also isn't playing for Dusty Baker, so he also has that going for him.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OOP: Is it an auction or draft league? That plays into it, obviously. I'm guessing draft because I don't see salaries listed.

I'm in an auction keeper A.L.-only league with some convoluted salary rules.

It's tough, to say the least. I need to do a better job preparing for it this year.

9. If your starting pitching wasn't already deep I'd say Berkman and Fister (But I don't even Knower).

Actually, stay with those two. Maybe I'm alone in the Fister fan-boy ness, but his strikeouts/walks ratio continues to go up and all the good lineup in the AL Central is in Detroit. He's real if you expect Seattle stats (outside of the W-L) and not the Detroit ones.

Soria is my third place person, but I feel your concerns there enough to suggest Berkman and Fister.

10. outofplace

This is a draft, not an auction.

I actually did strongly consider Fister. I just don't see him maintaining what he did last year, especially with a brutal infield defense behind him.

Thanks for all the help. Went with Berkman, Soria and Young. Funny thing is Young being the "safe" option given how streaky he can be, but I really think Stubbs is a bad April away from the Reds' bench.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thoughts on Neftali Feliz this year?

I have him at $14 right now in an A.L. auction keeper league and have to decide whether to keep him or drop him over the next few days.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't really started my homework for fantasy season yet, but I do have the top pick in the draft. Should I be worried about Pujols moving to a new league and park? Will Cabrera or Prince's numbers spike because they'll be batting next each other in the lineup this season?

Draft saved Draft deleted