1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Harrisonburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mystery Meat II, Jan 19, 2012.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to know I'm much different in person than I am on a message board.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why would he be pleasantly surprised? This is the you he has to know, not the nice one.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At least you don't have to send in a cover letter for this.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If I believed this to be true, I would want to find the "in-person" Doodah and put a pen through his eye.

5. doodah

doodah Guest

Please explain.

6. doodah

doodah Guest

I have. Can you please go back to being the friendly Stitch?

7. 35in44

35in44 Member

Moddy,
    Absolutely. Chris has been doing it for years -- Berman in Roanoke and Aaron Gray out in the US Virgin Islands are also Simmons alums. It's a long, long list for a paper in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gray is in the Virgin Islands? Interesting.

9. Anyone have an idea of pay vs. cost of living in this area? Am I going to be living on a steady diet of Ramen noodles or is it comfortable?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

great area, reasonable, comfortable.

11. doodah

doodah Guest

Is this a place that will allow me to get to my dream job of the LA Times pretty quickly?

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

When I interviewed news-side many years ago the pay was very low compared to similarly sized newspapers, and I ended up working at a smaller Valley paper for a good bit more. (I needed to be in the Valley for a couple of years for non-career related reasons.) I don't know what the payscale is like today. But you can live pretty cheaply in the Harrisonburg area, and I probably would have done it to work with Simmons on the sports side, had that been the position I was interviewing for. Also, it is a beautiful part of the country to live in.

Draft saved Draft deleted