Author Topic: Sports writer, Harrisonburg, VA  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Mystery Meat II

Sports writer, Harrisonburg, VA
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
Company:    Daily News-Record
Position:
   Sports Writer
Job Status:     Full-time
Salary:     Not Specified
Ad Expires:
   February 23, 2012
Job ID:    1314195

Description:

The Daily News-Record, a 28,000-circulation Monday-Saturday daily in Harrisonburg, Va., is seeking a sports writer. Beats include a Division III football team and two Division III basketball teams. Desk work and general assignment reporting also is part of the job. In addition, you'd contribute to our Rivals.com site (James Madison University). Harrisonburg is a college town (JMU, Bridgewater, Eastern Mennonite) in the Shenandoah Valley about two hours southwest of D.C. and two hours east of Richmond. This is essentially an entry-level position -- meaning recent college graduates (with journalism degrees or extensive work at their college newspapers) are welcome to apply. No phone calls. Email resumes to sports editor Chris Simmons at [email protected].
All those people, all around me
Were they strangers -- or was it me?

Offline Matt Stephens

• Don't ruin my childhood, Michael Bay
Re: Sports writer, Harrisonburg, VA
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »
I'm guessing someone from within moved up to take Mike's spot and this is for their old job?

Offline chris simmons

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
Pretty much. Matthew Stoss will be covering JMU football. (And that should be WEST of Richmond, btw ;)

Offline jr/shotglass

• Point, kitten. -- Chef
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »
Pretty darn good entry-level position, from what I can tell.
But that's only my opinion -- disclaimer to ward off the mouth-breathers.

Offline Mystery Meat II

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
Pretty much. Matthew Stoss will be covering JMU football. (And that should be WEST of Richmond, btw ;)

yeah. two hours east of Richmond puts you on the Eastern Shore. Good seafood, poor college football.
All those people, all around me
Were they strangers -- or was it me?

Offline Versatile

• The ghost slips away.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
Sources: Chris Simmons is a terrific boss. I've never worked with him myself, but I am good friends with someone who has in the past. The sports section they put out in Harrisonburg is pretty terrific for its size.
"Katy Perry has no artistic or entertainment value if she is not wearing a wet T-shirt and doing jumping jacks." Starman

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:22:15 AM »
As always - The Seal.

Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.washingtontimes.com

Help my darling daughter:  bit.ly/19d4njb

Offline doodah

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:58:05 AM »
Seems like a solid entry level position.  I applied.

Offline Big Circus

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 07:15:21 AM »

Excellent news there. Stoss is good people.

Offline 35in44

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »
Just to add to this -- and I said it over on the thread where Barber was hired how great of a boss Simmons is -- this place has also seen a fair number of people move on from it into much larger jobs, including Joe Lemire (now covering baseball for SI), Jeremy Cothran (covered the Mets for the Star-Ledger before heading of to the world of sports information), Michael Rothstein (covers Michigan for ESPN.com) -- not to mention Barber leaving the paper to cover Virginia Tech and Dustin Dopirak, who covers Indiana basketball for the Bloomington Herald-Times.

So there's a recent lineage of people moving up into bigger and better jobs. A lot of that has to do with the eye for talent Simmons has and what people learn while they are there under him.

Offline doodah

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
This sounds good to hear. I hope they hire me.

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
35, it goes back well before that to guys like Scott Blanchard and Skip Wood.  Excellent journalists, made better by Chris Simmons.

A perfect SE for a paper like this, smaller in size but they do some big stuff.  May not be a better teaching SE anywhere.

Doodah, he'd put up with about none of your bullshit. 
Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.washingtontimes.com

Offline doodah

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
35, it goes back well before that to guys like Scott Blanchard and Skip Wood.  Excellent journalists, made better by Chris Simmons.

A perfect SE for a paper like this, smaller in size but they do some big stuff.  May not be a better teaching SE anywhere.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to know I'm much different in person than I am on a message board.

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to know I'm much different in person than I am on a message board.

Why would he be pleasantly surprised? This is the you he has to know, not the nice one.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline Stitch

• Who's going to win the World Bowl?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 06:02:56 PM »
At least you don't have to send in a cover letter for this.

Offline Versatile

• The ghost slips away.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »

If I believed this to be true, I would want to find the "in-person" Doodah and put a pen through his eye.
"Katy Perry has no artistic or entertainment value if she is not wearing a wet T-shirt and doing jumping jacks." Starman

Offline doodah

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »

If I believed this to be true, I would want to find the "in-person" Doodah and put a pen through his eye.

Please explain.

Offline doodah

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »

Please explain.

I'm guessing you haven't interned anywhere.

I have. Can you please go back to being the friendly Stitch?

Offline 35in44

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »
Moddy,
Absolutely. Chris has been doing it for years -- Berman in Roanoke and Aaron Gray out in the US Virgin Islands are also Simmons alums. It's a long, long list for a paper in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley.

Offline Ryan_Sonner

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »
Gray is in the Virgin Islands? Interesting.
"I put two seconds thought into that statement." -- 93Devil

"Some of you come off as really awful people, you know that?" -- Dick Whitman

"We fight our battles with ideas in my house." -- Dick Whitman

Online RedHotChiliPrepper

• Out of the ground I rise to grace
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
Anyone have an idea of pay vs. cost of living in this area? Am I going to be living on a steady diet of Ramen noodles or is it comfortable?
Chasing Cars

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 05:23:24 AM »
great area, reasonable, comfortable.

www.washingtontimes.com

Offline doodah

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
Is this a place that will allow me to get to my dream job of the LA Times pretty quickly?

Online franticscribe

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »
Anyone have an idea of pay vs. cost of living in this area? Am I going to be living on a steady diet of Ramen noodles or is it comfortable?

When I interviewed news-side many years ago the pay was very low compared to similarly sized newspapers, and I ended up working at a smaller Valley paper for a good bit more. (I needed to be in the Valley for a couple of years for non-career related reasons.) I don't know what the payscale is like today. But you can live pretty cheaply in the Harrisonburg area, and I probably would have done it to work with Simmons on the sports side, had that been the position I was interviewing for. Also, it is a beautiful part of the country to live in.

Offline Rawbot

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
Sportswriters need not apply.