1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Harrisonburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mystery Meat II, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Company: Daily News-Record
    Position:
    Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    February 23, 2012
    Job ID: 1314195

Description:

The Daily News-Record, a 28,000-circulation Monday-Saturday daily in Harrisonburg, Va., is seeking a sports writer. Beats include a Division III football team and two Division III basketball teams. Desk work and general assignment reporting also is part of the job. In addition, you'd contribute to our Rivals.com site (James Madison University). Harrisonburg is a college town (JMU, Bridgewater, Eastern Mennonite) in the Shenandoah Valley about two hours southwest of D.C. and two hours east of Richmond. This is essentially an entry-level position -- meaning recent college graduates (with journalism degrees or extensive work at their college newspapers) are welcome to apply. No phone calls. Email resumes to sports editor Chris Simmons at csimmons@dnronline.com.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm guessing someone from within moved up to take Mike's spot and this is for their old job?

3. chris simmons

chris simmons New Member

Pretty much. Matthew Stoss will be covering JMU football. (And that should be WEST of Richmond, btw ;)

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pretty darn good entry-level position, from what I can tell.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

yeah. two hours east of Richmond puts you on the Eastern Shore. Good seafood, poor college football.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sources: Chris Simmons is a terrific boss. I've never worked with him myself, but I am good friends with someone who has in the past. The sports section they put out in Harrisonburg is pretty terrific for its size.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As always - The Seal.

8. doodah

doodah Guest

Seems like a solid entry level position. I applied.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Excellent news there. Stoss is good people.

10. 35in44

35in44 Member

Just to add to this -- and I said it over on the thread where Barber was hired how great of a boss Simmons is -- this place has also seen a fair number of people move on from it into much larger jobs, including Joe Lemire (now covering baseball for SI), Jeremy Cothran (covered the Mets for the Star-Ledger before heading of to the world of sports information), Michael Rothstein (covers Michigan for ESPN.com) -- not to mention Barber leaving the paper to cover Virginia Tech and Dustin Dopirak, who covers Indiana basketball for the Bloomington Herald-Times.

So there's a recent lineage of people moving up into bigger and better jobs. A lot of that has to do with the eye for talent Simmons has and what people learn while they are there under him.

11. doodah

doodah Guest

This sounds good to hear. I hope they hire me.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

35, it goes back well before that to guys like Scott Blanchard and Skip Wood. Excellent journalists, made better by Chris Simmons.

A perfect SE for a paper like this, smaller in size but they do some big stuff. May not be a better teaching SE anywhere.

Doodah, he'd put up with about none of your bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted