1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/Copy Editor - Bryan-College Station (Texas) Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

From JJobs http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1311378

Company: Bryan-College Station Eagle
    Position: Copy editor/Page designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: February 13, 2012
    Job ID: 1311378

Description:

Primary responsibilities include news headline writing, copy editing, layout and design on deadline. Must have an eye for detail and a passion for grammar, usage and style. Familiarity with newspaper design preferred, as is knowledge of AP style.

Must have solid grasp of a design program (ex. QuarkXPress, InDesign) and be proficient on Macintosh platform. Should have some experience working with photo editing and graphics software (PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator) and have a working knowledge of web publishing.

Must be willing to be part of a collaborative team, take initiative but also follow directions and must be willing to work nights and weekends. The copy desk is young and welcomes new ideas for page design, our website and social networking. There are opportunities to experiment with design, as the copy desk handles features and entertainment sections as well as daily news pages.

The Bryan-College Station Eagle is a small newspaper that thinks like a major metro, which is where many of our staffers go from here. Our award-winning reporters and sports writers cover an eight-county area. Our community is home to two colleges, including Texas A&M. The area offers an active nightlife and arts scene, great schools and all that Texas A&M University and Blinn College have to offer.

We highly value our community and our employees, who are compensated with a good benefits package (health insurance/401K/dental/vision) and competitive pay. Send cover letter, clips and résumé to Liz Webb, copy desk chief, 1729 Briarcrest Drive, Bryan, 77802 or email her at liz.webb@theeagle.com. No phone calls please.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Aggies. Nuff said.

3. If I was more of a design guy, I'd jump all over this.

4. Raiders

Raiders Guest

"The Bryan-College Station Eagle is a small newspaper that thinks like a major metro ... "

YOU'RE HIRED!!! :D

5. onthereg

onthereg New Member

30k? Tops, I'm assuming, right?

6. spud

spud Member

Won't be any more than that, I wouldn't think.

I don't know that I'd call the BCS nightlife "active," but there are a handful of bars that cater to the A&M crowd that will keep you moderately busy if you're into that kind of thing. It's a good sports staff in a town that revolves around the Aggies. Which is its own chore, but then I'm a Baylor grad so living in the heart of Hell would be difficult.

Draft saved Draft deleted