1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Debuts in a little more than a week, and Idol judges promise more talent this year than last year. I hope so because none of the last few winners have really had an impact. Makes me wonder if this show is nearing the end ...

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s91/american-idol/news/a359331/american-idol-judges-there-are-a-lot-of-frontrunners-this-season.html

Just hope the judges can be a little more critical when they need to be. Steven Tyler was a trainwreck at times during the season. What's the over/under for how many times he says "beautiful" in the season? 5,000?

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

A relative of mine does photo-video, or something like that. He's been doing a lot of stuff for Fox, including the Idol promo vid:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/american-idol-season-11-photocast-video

I'm hoping this season is better than last.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

As long as it's more popular than X Factor, I don't care who wins. Anything to make Cowell look like the overrated, egomaniacal wanker that he is.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Highlight of the night so far: Tyler telling Joe Magrane his daughter is hot... and the look Magrane gives him.

Awkward!

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Got home about 35 minutes ago. Watching now.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Headed home to watch on DVR.

This season is going to have to be a whole lot better than last to keep my interest.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

For the first time in years, I completely forgot that the season premiere of "American Idol" was on. That can't be a good sign.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I never know when things are on. I rely on my Dish Pass to just record it for me.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Every year, I'm just flabbergasted by the delusion level of these folks. Like, the guy who went from Mr. Tough Guy I'm Gonna Sing the National Anthem at a NASCAR Race (the guy who said he sounds like Daughtry and Brad Paisley) to weeping on the phone to Mommy in two seconds flat, and the West African dude. Just stunning lack of self-awareness.

On another note, I think little sister's pissed that her big brother swooped in and got a golden ticket, too. He blew her out, and I don't think she would've gotten a ticket on her own. I'm not sure what to think about Phillip Phillips, either. Artistry was certainly there, but I'm not sure his voice is that great.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Still proud to say I've never watched a single episode of Idol.

But we had a local audition session in our area two years ago and we did a story on the people who couldn't even make the cut in that. Teen-age girls crying into Mommy's arms when they got rejected ("But Mooooommmmmmm ..... people tell me I sound so good singing solo in the Podunk First Baptist Church choir ... how can I not make it?")

And we got great stuff from psychologists who caution parents from giving their kids this line "You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough."

It's a lie. It's one of the all-time lies parents can tell their kids and it almost always comes from helicopter parents who have been telling their kids they're something special since they've been born, instead of letting them be kids and grow and develop their own interests and talents. Those girls sobbing to Mommy will never be Madonna or Etta James or Diana Krall even if they practice 24/7. Most boys will never be Tom Brady or Tiger Woods or Kobe Bryant if they practice their sport 24/7. There aren't many of those kind of people around, which is what makes them truly special.
    What kids need to be told is do your best at whatever you try or whatever interests you. It might be amazing what can happen if you do that. But there are no guarantees and hard work is only half the battle. God-given talent is the rest.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yup.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/You-Can-Do-Anything/1379100

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the vetting process works? I assume that the judges do not listen to all of the 10,000 folks that show up for audition. Are there preliminaries judged by others?

Draft saved Draft deleted