1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor/Writer - Big Spring Herald - Big Spring, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheWritingWaffle, Jan 5, 2012.

1. From Texas Press Association - http://www.texaspress.com/index.php/services/job-bank Should be third job posted down

category: Editorial
    position: Sports Editor/Writer
    email: publisher@bigspringherald.com or editor@
    date: 2012-01-04
    adtext: Applications for a Sports Editor/Writer are being accepted at the Big Spring Herald. The full-time position requires coverage of sporting events involving high school and junior college teams and individuals. It requires someone who can build a rapport among coaches, booster clubs and others. Experience in Photoshop, Word and InDesign are preferred. Applicants must have reliable transportation, reside or be willing to relocate in Howard County and must be able to type. A benefits package is available. Send resumes to Ron Midkiff, publisher, at P.0. Box 1431, Big Spring, TX, 79720 or fax to 432-264-7205. Resumes may also be emailed to publisher@bigspringherald.com or editor@bigspringherald.com

All I know of Big Spring is its high school is the alma mater of Ryan Tannehill and Bubba Franks.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to be confused with Spring, Texas, which is a northern suburb of Houston. Big Spring is out in no-man's land between Abilene and Midland.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I thought Abilene was no-man's land.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I thought Midland was.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Literally the middle of nowhere, then. Lovely

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Midland and Abilene are actually good sized cities. Midland has Double-A baseball.

7. JPsT

JPsT Member

It's also a lot closer to Midland than it is to Abilene. I think it's a 40 minute drive to Midland. Probably a couple hours to Abilene. Howard is a good at a lot of JUCO sports, but preps come first here. Last I heard (it's been a little while) it was a one-man desk and they tried to cover at least four high schools. Doubt much has changed.

8. Mr. Costello

Mr. Costello New Member

I'm pretty sure this one was open around eight months ago.

9. I got worried about the need to build rapport with booster clubs.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd sell my soul for a free hot dog and soda at a game.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A bonus to this job is covering Forsan, which some douche-lick on here told me a year ago was staying a 1A school but in actuality did go back to 2A.

Draft saved Draft deleted