1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Journatic? Telecommute listings here.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Raiders, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Ever heard of Journatic? Better or worse than Demand Studios?
    These listings on JournalismJobs.com offer low-to-middling pay ($12/hr), but you can work from home.

Copy editors:
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1302906

Writers:
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1302950

Maybe this is where CNN will get its stories next. :eek:

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Does Journatic even have a website?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think this sums up how legit of a job this is. The fine print is it pays $12/hr, but it's broken down in $4 stories that take 20 minutes to write. If you really want to write, there is always Bleacher Report.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Copy editor, of course, being two words.

Fail.

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

This is a company that is based in Chicago and St. Louis.
    It mainly creates pages for newspapers, including real estate advertorials.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can I write the story on the Amish heater that saves thousands of dollars?

7. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

This is a group from the same people that run BlockShopper. I think they started this Journatic stuff because BlockShopper is getting pounded with complaints about printing people's personal information. What they do is take public records and print them. Perfectly legal, but ethics wise, not a good sell for public relations.

They also do real estate Sunday sections for newspapers looking for cheap help.

I did a Skype interview for one of these positions last year, and didn't get the job. At that point, most of their page designers were in the Philippines. They only would have a handful of people in the US who would proof the work from the outsourced jobs.

You can google "Blockshopper" and "BlockShopper complaints" to get a better idea of who they are.

My view is this, if you need work, I'd take the job. But don't expect a smooth ride. My guess is the turnover there is tremendous. After I interviewed, the same job was posted a month later.

8. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

They had one for Journatic a few weeks ago because I googled it after seeing some of these jobs and wanted to see if they were Blockshopper. Now, I can't find the site?

9. Copy_That

Copy_That New Member

Lots of problems with people getting paid what they should, when they should. Avoid.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I applied about a month ago and never got so much as a "kiss my ass" from Journatic.

11. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

http://journatic.com/

12. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

Did you forget to tell them your favorite movie character?

Seriously, not worth your time likely.

Draft saved Draft deleted