1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upside to a blog?

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by young-gun11, Nov 21, 2011.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I've been in the business (news-side) for about a year. Three different rags, but each a step forward. However, I was not retained during consolidation by my latest job.

I have always wanted to be in the sports world. It isn't that I don't enjoy news. I just don't find writing it very interesting. Especially at rural county publications.

My question is would starting (and maintaining) a blog be helpful in finding a place to call home in the sports industry. I've been writing extensively for that "website" which shall not be named (B/R) in hopes of using the material for clips.

However, would it be more helpful to keep a blog going about a specific team or sport, showing how I am able to cover a "beat"?

If not, what would you guys suggest?

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Yes, it would be more helpful to cover a specific team/sport/whatever. Become an expert on it. If you do, you would eventually be seen as an authority. How you do that on a blog without outside income, unless you generate enough hits to take the blog into the commercial realm (paying for a site that allows you to sell ads) is the big question. I have no answer for it. Perhaps others do. Pick something undercovered but potentially popular. Good luck.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Thanks. Luckily, I landed a real gig :)

Draft saved Draft deleted