Author Topic: Upside to a blog?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline young-gun11

Upside to a blog?
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
I've been in the business (news-side) for about a year. Three different rags, but each a step forward. However, I was not retained during consolidation by my latest job.

I have always wanted to be in the sports world. It isn't that I don't enjoy news. I just don't find writing it very interesting. Especially at rural county publications.

My question is would starting (and maintaining) a blog be helpful in finding a place to call home in the sports industry. I've been writing extensively for that "website" which shall not be named (B/R) in hopes of using the material for clips.

However, would it be more helpful to keep a blog going about a specific team or sport, showing how I am able to cover a "beat"?

If not, what would you guys suggest?

Offline Clerk Typist

Re: Upside to a blog?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »
Yes, it would be more helpful to cover a specific team/sport/whatever. Become an expert on it. If you do, you would eventually be seen as an authority. How you do that on a blog without outside income, unless you generate enough hits to take the blog into the commercial realm (paying for a site that allows you to sell ads) is the big question. I have no answer for it. Perhaps others do. Pick something undercovered but potentially popular. Good luck.

Offline young-gun11

Re: Upside to a blog?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »
Thanks. Luckily, I landed a real gig :)