1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

...and Zeller was damn near directly responsible for Duke winning in Chapel Hill. His point?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Zag, those are very good questions.

Taking a quick glance at the Rivals lists from the last 3-4 years, there really has not been a ton of "wow" players from the Pac 10 recruiting grounds. And those that were decent, some left.

Jordan Hamilton - Texas
    Michael Snaer - FSU
    Renardo Sidney - Miss St
    Kawhi Leonard - SD St
    Enes Kanter - Kentucky
    Terrence Jones - Kentucky

I am unsure of all these players backgrounds, but they played high school ball in California or Oregon and moved on to other parts of the country. Has the Findlay Prep program produced many Pac 10 players of note?

I would think something is going on out there with the AAU teams. That region just does not dry up talent-wise.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

kcmiv:
    [​IMG]

Big Circus:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Somehow, Steve Fisher was named the MWC Coach of the Year. Why not TCU's Jim Christian? Beats me.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Western Carolina, down 10 with about a minute left, just took Davidson to OT.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gonzaga big comeback in the last minute and a deep three to force overtime with Saint Mary's. Best week of college basketball, bar none.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

St. Mary's is our local team and its a wonderful little slice of paradise in which to watch basketball. Here's hoping that team somehow pulls a VCU/James Madison.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

George Mason, not James Madison (assuming you mean you want them to make a run to the FF).

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Plus St. Mary's is ranked in the top 20 and has been good for a while. If they make a FF run, it won't call to mind VCU/Mason/Butler.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think VCU has the ponies to win more than one game in the Tourney this year, but Smart is a hell of a coach. I am amazed they actually found someone better than Grant, but they did.

And VCU is loaded for the foreseeable future in the CAA.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Wooden Award finalists released:

Isaiah Canaan (Murray State)
    Jae Crowder (Marquette)
    Anthony Davis (Kentucky)
    Marcus Denmon (Mizzou)
    Draymond Green (Michigan State)
    Kevin Jones (West Virginia)
    Kris Joseph (Syracuse)
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Kentucky)
    Damian Lillard (Weber State)
    Scott Machado (Iona)
    Doug McDermott (Kentucky)
    Austin Rivers (Duke)
    Thomas Robinson (Kansas)
    Jared Sullinger (Ohio State)
    Tyler Zeller (North Carolina)

Not a great list. Rivers is the biggest head-scratcher. Will Barton, Mike Scott, Jordan Taylor the most egregious snubs.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agreed. Work stopped at our shop for the final few minutes of the game and OT.

And as much as I've bad-mouthed Robert Sacre on this site, he stepped up big time last night. St. Mary's repeatedly forced the 7-foot Sacre to switch onto star Gaels guard Matthew Dellavedova, and Sacre more than held his own guarding him 1-on-1 on the perimeter. I think Dellavedova scored once against the Zags big man in about 10 tries.

Draft saved Draft deleted