1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Them would be fightin' words, Verse, but I was in diapers at the time and will defer to your knowledge. :D

You do have a point - Lamp definitely wasn't even the best player on his teams then. Even Little Baby Circus could recognize that.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

VCU scores the first 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11... 19,20,21,22 points against Mason.

Lord, have the Rams improved since November.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Paul Hewitt picking his nose on live TV. Sonner must be so proud.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But Mason has really made a game of this. Pick or no pick.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OSU roars back from 15 points down to beat Sparty and earn a co-Big Ten championship with Michigan.

(Technically Sparty also wins a piece of the title, but I am sorry, if your last two conference games consist of a 15-point ass-kicking on the road and then blowing a 15-point lead in a winner-take-all game on your home court, you forfeit all rights to claim any share whatever of a "championship.")

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Feel for the Baron kid, but as they said in The Last Crusade, "He chose . . . poorly."

7. Big Circus

Honestly, he should have been at URI from the get-go. Then he'd be able to transfer and use a redshirt year.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A couple people I know said the literally the same thing at the time he transferred. There had been a groundswell for a few years to oust the elder Baron but his contract and hard economic times in the state basically made it impossible, so there wasn't much thought it would happen. Jim Baron Sr. probably would have been gone three years ago if he didn't have five years left on his contract at the time.

I agree to the extent that his dad was on slick footing because the Rams kept missing the NCAA Tournament, but remember, they won 20 games four years in a row, basically during the time Billy was making his decision. There was some unrest because of the lack of tourney appearances, but with a few years left on Senior's contract, his job was fairly secure when Billy was making his decision.

Not only that, but if you're 18 and you have a chance to go play in the ACC, especially after seeing what his brother did against Duke (I think he hit eight 3-pointers) in 2008, it's hard to fault the kid for wanting to get away from home and play in the country's best conference.

9. Big Circus

Pern, I'll defer to you on the state of Rhode Island hoops and how that played into Baron's decision. Also, whenever I read one of your posts, I find myself staring at your avatar for minutes at a time.

But the real reason I came here to post is to show why Mike Scott has no chance at ACC POY, and why people think the ACC establishment is hopelessly biased toward Tobacco Road, all encapsulated in one delightfully asinine tweet:

@CaultonTudor
    My 1st team: The 4 Heels & Rivers. Player Zeller; coach Gottfried; Rookie Rivers; Defender Henson

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

Mark Gottfried and Coach of the Year in the same sentence is pretty hilarious.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Would Creighton have been in the Tournament if they had lost?

I don't ever remember the Mo Val getting 3 teams in.......You would have to assume WSU is a lock.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They can't leave Wichita out . . . though I'd pay a lot of money to see Wichita/Murray.

Creighton wouldn't have deserved to be screwed, but a number of sides on the fringes can say the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted