1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

In March or April of 2015, when Tony Bennett is stepping down after three straight losing seasons, tonight is going to be seen as the beginning of the end.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That was CSU's only home loss and it wasn't even that close. They were missing Hornung but I don't think it would have made any difference.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Gonna feel like there's something missing on Selection Sunday when there's no Seth Greenberg bemoaning the Hokies' tournament omission.

4. Big Circus

You'll still have at least one Virginia team feeling slighted, even if Bennett is too classy to lash out like Uncle Fester.

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Tennessee could be the #2 seed in the SEC tournament, folks. This SEC year (sans Kentucky) has been very unpredictable. This weekend's games will be exciting to watch given the multiple scenario outcome. Never wanted to watch SEC basketball more.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm still waiting for Vanderbilt to give us that "wow" factor game that gets them ranked and sets them up for a tournament run. The Tennessee game is another chance for them to have one of those games, but at this point I half expect Vandy to fall short again.

Let me ask this question: Does anybody in the country have a better pair of wings than Jenkins and Taylor? Jenkins is probably as good of a pure shooter/scorer as there is in college basketball and Taylor looks like an NBA 3 - a long, explosive run-and-jumper who can guard four positions and is skilled enough to knock down shots. That's a legit NBA 2-3 there. Yet Vandy's not even in the Top 25 because they keep "competing well" but losing big games. Nobody has matched up with Kentucky as well as Vandy has, but that just means competitive losses.

They have won at Marquette and at Alabama, so they are capable of winning a big game on the road. I kind of keep tabs on Vandy because they've been a potential Final Four team to me all year.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know this is the wrong gender for most - if not all of you - but somewhere, Kay Yow is hopefully smiling. N.C. State knocked off Duke in the women's ACC tournament.

Back to the men ...

-Good for Tim Miles in Fort Collins. He has done a masterful job of building something at Colorado State. Now to see if the powers-to-be can ante up and keep him there a while longer.

-Only Leonard Hamilton could have kept Florida State from falling apart after James got kicked out (or kicked himself out, if you will). They're Jekyll-and-Hyde, to be sure, but when they're on, it's pretty potent in Tallahassee.

8. Big Circus

Despite the shit last night, I love Leonard Hamilton. In happier times, the multiple replays of him making a face at Bernard James and saying "Don't do that!" made me giggle.

Also, Ian Miller is cold-blooded.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Harvard beat Columbia on the road in OT last night to stay tied for Ivy League. Notable only because Spike Lee attended the game. I'm willing to bet that he was the first celebrity of any kind to attend a Columbia sports event since they went to the Rose Bowl in the early '30s.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dr. Irwin Corey (among others) was in the stands at Palmer Stadium when Columbia lost to Princeton and broke Northwestern's consecutive-loss record in FB. I know. I was sitting directly behind him.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's all about matchups and schedule logistics for Vandy, and has been, all year. That said, think Vols will win today, but it's a very, verrrrrrry close call.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Attention Starman: Your anti-sludgeball game is on ESPN. VMI leads UNC-A 30-28 with over 4 minutes left in the half.

Draft saved Draft deleted