Author Topic: Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread  (Read 25472 times)

Offline dixiehack

• Smash! Smash! Suh-MASH!
Re: Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread
« Reply #650 on: February 28, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »
UT would still need Bama to lose once, which is entirely possible Saturday in the roach motel that is the Tad Pad.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female Delmar; remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent. - Ulysses Everett McGill

Offline TigerVols

« Reply #651 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »
UT would still need Bama to lose once, which is entirely possible Saturday in the roach motel that is the Tad Pad.

Better tell that to the News-Sentinel.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/feb/27/cuonzo-martin-we-are-fighting-for-our-lives/?partner=popular

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #652 on: February 28, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »
Apparently the shit is going to hit the fan tomorrow. Some sort of expose by Dohrmann in SI about Ben Howland and UCLA basketball and drug use.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/28/report-sports-illustrated-expected-to-release-highly-negative-article-on-ucla-basketball-program/
In recent days I've begun to compare this job to like being in an abusive marriage. The business keeps going all Chris Brown on me, and I know it's better for my health if I leave ... but I've just got nowhere else to go. -- Some Guy

Offline dixiehack

• Smash! Smash! Suh-MASH!
« Reply #653 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »
The News-Sentinel could figure it out if their agate guy wasn't off interviewing all the time. [/crossthread]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female Delmar; remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent. - Ulysses Everett McGill

Offline Versatile

• The ghost slips away.
« Reply #654 on: February 28, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
My understanding is a four-way tiebreaker is determined by head-to-head records of tied teams. In the scenario of a four-way tie at 10-6 for second place in the Southeastern Conference, it would get a little more complicated because of a tie between Tennessee and Vanderbilt with 3-2 head-to-head records against the other three teams.

The tiebreaker then between Vanderbilt and Tennessee is record vs. the top team, but neither beat Kentucky. So the next tiebreaker would be against the next-highest team in the standings, which would be Florida. Tennessee swept Florida and Vanderbilt split against Florida, so Tennessee wins that tiebreaker. Here's the results:

• Tennessee would be 3-2 against Alabama (0-1), Florida (2-0) and Vanderbilt (1-1) and the second seed.
  • Vanderbilt would be 3-2 against Alabama (1-0), Florida (1-1) and Tennessee (1-1) and the third seed.
  • Florida would be 2-3 against Alabama (1-0), Tennessee (0-2) and Vanderbilt (1-1) and the fourth seed.
  • Alabama would be 1-2 against Florida (0-1), Tennessee (1-0) and Vanderbilt (0-1) and the fifth seed.
That, at least, is my understanding of the rules. It's definitely how the rules played out in when the league had a divisional format, and I think they've stuck with those rules.
"Katy Perry has no artistic or entertainment value if she is not wearing a wet T-shirt and doing jumping jacks." Starman

Offline Cosmo

In recent days I've begun to compare this job to like being in an abusive marriage. The business keeps going all Chris Brown on me, and I know it's better for my health if I leave ... but I've just got nowhere else to go. -- Some Guy

Offline zagoshe

• Steelers are no better than Bengals!!!! Ha Ha Ha
« Reply #656 on: February 29, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »
Ben Howland is a classic example of an excellent coach who was promoted one level above his level of competency.

I said it when he was hired. I said it when he had a few great recruits early and went to Final Fours. And I'll say it again - he is a terrible fit for UCLA and he doesn't have the star power to successfully be that school's coach.

First, his defensive style is not what players on the West Coast want to play and it is not what Showtime Hollywood fans want to watch.

Second, his style is predicated on guys buying into a system and developing over four or even five years -- except to win at UCLA you better get some one and two-and-done type kids. This means his grand plans for building teams are always changing.

The guy he mentored, on the other hand, Jamie Dixon will miss the tournament this year, but it is the first time in eight or nine seasons and the reason is he never has a young team. He never has to rebuild as he loses usually two or three seniors but has seven or eight other guys who have played lots of minutes already ready to step in and they almost all have been in his program for three or more years.

That works at Pitt and if Jamie Dixon never makes a Final Four or even another Elite Eight but keeps winning a lot of games and going to the NCAA Tournament he will be at Pitt for life cause it is good enough.

It isn't good enough at UCLA.

Ben Howland will likely be let go at some point, maybe not this year but soon enough and when he does it won't shock me if he resurfaces at a job like, oh I don't know, Oregon State or something and he will have a lot of success cause he will be able to run his program his way.

People can rip John Calipari all they want but he is the kind of guy UCLA needs - someone who can be bigger than what seems to be a larger than life job and can handle the expectations like he has at Kentucky.

Vanderbilt before Jay Cutler - 12-33
Vanderbilt with Jay Cutler - 11-34
Vanderbilt after Jay Cutler - 18-27
'Nuff said

Offline MileHigh

• Global Moderator
  • --30--
« Reply #657 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
Amateur hour in Fort Fun, storming the court beating the No. 17 team.

Nice comeback (down 14 in the second half) for the Lambs and they should be in the tournament, but come on. Is that Matt Stephens at midcourt hugging Tim Miles?
They don't have to do this. Everybody knows the arithmetic. We get the annual reports. Several parts of their company are doing very well. The Rocky had a tough year. They decided to walk away. Basically, my feeling is they quit on us. They quit on everybody in the newsroom. -- Jeff Legwold, Rocky

Offline Matt Stephens

• Don't ruin my childhood, Michael Bay
« Reply #658 on: February 29, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
Colorado State upsets UNLV. First time in school history Rams have defeated three ranked teams in a season. Great to see for Tim Miles. As long as CSU doesn't slip up at Air Force this weekend (which has an amazing chance of happening), that should lock up an NCAA Tournament bid.

Offline Matt Stephens

« Reply #659 on: February 29, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »

Nice comeback (down 14 in the second half) for the Lambs and they should be in the tournament, but come on. Is that Matt Stephens at midcourt hugging Tim Miles?
lol fourth court storming of the year (CU, SDSU, UNM and UNLV). A little excessive, but the Rams being successful at anything other than volleyball, well, it hasn't happened in a while. I'm here in Arkansas, but I may have to text Tim in a few to say congrats.

Offline MileHigh

• Global Moderator
  • --30--
« Reply #660 on: February 29, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Beat ya by 3:39. ;)
They don't have to do this. Everybody knows the arithmetic. We get the annual reports. Several parts of their company are doing very well. The Rocky had a tough year. They decided to walk away. Basically, my feeling is they quit on us. They quit on everybody in the newsroom. -- Jeff Legwold, Rocky

Offline MileHigh

• Global Moderator
  • --30--
« Reply #661 on: February 29, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »

lol fourth court storming of the year (CU, SDSU, UNM and UNLV). A little excessive, but the Rams being successful at anything other than volleyball, well, it hasn't happened in a while. I'm here in Arkansas, but I may have to text Tim in a few to say congrats.

Stop. Miles has Lambkin 1 fueled up for ya to join in the party at the Crown Pub.

Offline Matt Stephens

« Reply #662 on: February 29, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
But I'm supposed to be the designated CSU poster  ;)

Offline Ben_Hecht

• " . . . never a lovely so real . . "
« Reply #663 on: March 01, 2012, 04:34:29 AM »
Ben Howland is a classic example of an excellent coach who was promoted one level above his level of competency.

I said it when he was hired. I said it when he had a few great recruits early and went to Final Fours. And I'll say it again - he is a terrible fit for UCLA and he doesn't have the star power to successfully be that school's coach.

First, his defensive style is not what players on the West Coast want to play and it is not what Showtime Hollywood fans want to watch.

Second, his style is predicated on guys buying into a system and developing over four or even five years -- except to win at UCLA you better get some one and two-and-done type kids. This means his grand plans for building teams are always changing.

The guy he mentored, on the other hand, Jamie Dixon will miss the tournament this year, but it is the first time in eight or nine seasons and the reason is he never has a young team. He never has to rebuild as he loses usually two or three seniors but has seven or eight other guys who have played lots of minutes already ready to step in and they almost all have been in his program for three or more years.

That works at Pitt and if Jamie Dixon never makes a Final Four or even another Elite Eight but keeps winning a lot of games and going to the NCAA Tournament he will be at Pitt for life cause it is good enough.

It isn't good enough at UCLA.

Ben Howland will likely be let go at some point, maybe not this year but soon enough and when he does it won't shock me if he resurfaces at a job like, oh I don't know, Oregon State or something and he will have a lot of success cause he will be able to run his program his way.

People can rip John Calipari all they want but he is the kind of guy UCLA needs - someone who can be bigger than what seems to be a larger than life job and can handle the expectations like he has at Kentucky.

UCLA has its own sleaze issues, but Bruins aren't getting all hot and bothered about potential SEC-calibre (vacated) circumstances.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself.  They are pretty bad.   I grieve over them  long winter evenings."

-- Philip Marlowe

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross".

-- Sinclair Lewis

Offline Dick Whitman

« Reply #664 on: March 01, 2012, 04:53:39 AM »
Most absurd court-storming of the year so far was DePaul fans storming the court after beating unranked Pitt.

Best court-storming of the year was Indiana after beating Kentucky in the game of the year to this point. Totally raw and spontaneous and cathartic. Vitale was actually scared shitless while it was going on.

Offline Chef2

• "I can feel me....going on A1 Tonight...OH YEAH!"
« Reply #665 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:33 AM »
Most absurd court-storming of the year so far was DePaul fans storming the court after beating unranked Pitt.

Best court-storming of the year was Indiana after beating Kentucky in the game of the year to this point. Totally raw and spontaneous and cathartic. Vitale was actually scared shitless while it was going on.

Best court-storming was definitely IU over UK.......a close second was Notre Dame over 'Cuse.

"Alright bitches, get in the tub. You're on the clock." Bubbler on Orvile Redenbacher
Reasons to keep Les Miles: he is clearly the luckiest motherfucker to ever live.
Reasons to fire Les Miles: everything else

Thanks aqb.

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #666 on: March 01, 2012, 10:10:54 AM »
Meanwhile, with Vandy's win over Florida...if the Gators lose to KY and the Vols win out (all of which is very doable) then Cuonzo Martin's team finishes second in the SEC. And yet they still might not make the Big Dance.

UT had to slick out of Baton Rouge last night in what was an entertaining game. Your scenario is still there.

The Vols look like an NCAA team to me, although I doubt that they get there. Stokes was outstanding last night. He makes a huge difference when you consider that he replaces a kind of journeyman player with a difference maker and, in the process, make themselves deeper in the front line.

Might be too little, too late.

And before somebody says "It was just LSU," for the first 15 minutes, LSU played very well. LSU has moments, like the Marquette game or the Mississippi State comeback, where they are pretty good, especially at home. For much of last night, they were that good and Tennessee was still able to win on the road.

Offline albert77

« Reply #667 on: March 01, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »
Colorado State upsets UNLV. First time in school history Rams have defeated three ranked teams in a season. Great to see for Tim Miles. As long as CSU doesn't slip up at Air Force this weekend (which has an amazing chance of happening), that should lock up an NCAA Tournament bid.
If CSU is in the NCAA field, then my alma mater (Southern Miss) ought to be in with a bullet because they bitch-slapped the Rams by 21 at the Fort. Yeah, it was in November, but that's still got to look pretty good on the resume, as does the fact that Southern is 24-6.

Offline TigerVols

« Reply #668 on: March 01, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »
Meanwhile, with Vandy's win over Florida...if the Gators lose to KY and the Vols win out (all of which is very doable) then Cuonzo Martin's team finishes second in the SEC. And yet they still might not make the Big Dance.

UT had to slick out of Baton Rouge last night in what was an entertaining game. Your scenario is still there.

The Vols look like an NCAA team to me, although I doubt that they get there. Stokes was outstanding last night. He makes a huge difference when you consider that he replaces a kind of journeyman player with a difference maker and, in the process, make themselves deeper in the front line.

Might be too little, too late.

And before somebody says "It was just LSU," for the first 15 minutes, LSU played very well. LSU has moments, like the Marquette game or the Mississippi State comeback, where they are pretty good, especially at home. For much of last night, they were that good and Tennessee was still able to win on the road.

Plus, Stokes is hurt and playing about about 75% capacity. If the Vols could have locked up one of those early-season near-misses, they'd be a lock themselves. Alas, they didn't, and I think as a result they'll be a trendy pick to win the NIT! (yikes).

Offline Matt Stephens

« Reply #669 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
If CSU is in the NCAA field, then my alma mater (Southern Miss) ought to be in with a bullet because they bitch-slapped the Rams by 21 at the Fort. Yeah, it was in November, but that's still got to look pretty good on the resume, as does the fact that Southern is 24-6.
Southern Miss should definitely be in, IMO. Got revenge for the loss last season.

Offline albert77

« Reply #670 on: March 01, 2012, 03:57:06 PM »
Southern Miss should definitely be in, IMO. Got revenge for the loss last season.

Yeah, Matt, I distinctly remember that game from last year (apart from the fact that it was at Cancun). It was pretty much USM's season in a nutshell. They were in the game all the way (I think they lost by 5), but they just could never quite make the right play at the right time, then Eustachy had to separate a couple of players as they were going into the locker room after it was over. That was probably a more talented team than this year's team, but that bunch had really bad chemistry. BTW, I think CSU is going to get in, as well. They are obviously playing a lot better than they were in November.

Online dreunc1542

« Reply #671 on: March 01, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »
Miller just hit a crazy three-pointer for FSU with 0.8 left as it looks like they've escaped with a win in Charlottesville. The Seminoles looked done with about three minutes to go in the game as Bernard James was kicked out of the game.

Offline Big Circus

« Reply #672 on: March 01, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »
In March or April of 2015, when Tony Bennett is stepping down after three straight losing seasons, tonight is going to be seen as the beginning of the end.

Offline Roscablo

« Reply #673 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »

Yeah, Matt, I distinctly remember that game from last year (apart from the fact that it was at Cancun). It was pretty much USM's season in a nutshell. They were in the game all the way (I think they lost by 5), but they just could never quite make the right play at the right time, then Eustachy had to separate a couple of players as they were going into the locker room after it was over. That was probably a more talented team than this year's team, but that bunch had really bad chemistry. BTW, I think CSU is going to get in, as well. They are obviously playing a lot better than they were in November.

That was CSU's only home loss and it wasn't even that close. They were missing Hornung but I don't think it would have made any difference.

Offline mb

• 34-17 | 29-7 | 34-13
« Reply #674 on: March 01, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
Gonna feel like there's something missing on Selection Sunday when there's no Seth Greenberg bemoaning the Hokies' tournament omission.