1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fun family things to do near Royals (Kauffman) stadium in KC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We're heading up to a baseball game Kansas City tomorrow night for my son's birthday. It's about a 6 hour drive, but we'll probably have an hour or two before the game. Is there anything near the stadium that would be fun for us to visit? What about the 18th and Vine area with the Jazz/Negro Baseball Museum? There's also a chance of a rainout. Any nearby options for the evening?

I haven't been near the stadium in about 15 years, so my memory is a bit faded.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It's not right by the stadium, but the Power and Light District downtown is nice. It's like a poor man's Brick Town (I'm probably going to get hell for saying that). Went to a Cubs vs. Royals game about a month and a half ago with the guys from work and we ate at Arthur Bryant's BBQ. AMAZING!

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Looks like it won't work, but a visit to the Truman Library and Museum in nearby Independence is well worth it next time.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There really isn't much near the ballpark except highways. That's really the only drawback to the stadium. Great place to watch a game.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The World War I Museum in K.C. is awesome. But as others have mentioned, the stadium complex is pretty isolated. You will love that stadium, though, its a great place to watch a game.

6. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

Go to the Oklahoma Joes at 47th and Mission in KCK. It's just on the other side of downtown off 35. As a lifelong KC guy, you'd be silly to go to Bryant's or Gates over this place.
    As for things to do, might try to get in on a Boulevard Brewery tour or depending on their age, Worlds of Fun is just up the road probably 10-15 minutes from the stadium. There's really nothing to do near the stadium except get robbed.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Glad you said it, because not being from K.C., I wasn't sure, but the area just outside of the stadium complex is slightly dicey. Not 1970s South Bronx or anything, but a tad dicey.

8. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

Even then it's really not that bad. I've never felt uncomfortable in the parking lots etc. It's just an area that time has had it's toll on, fairly industrial just to the west of there.
    But yes, there are much nicer parts of the city.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've never had a problem. More to the point, my old man has never had a problem, and he's been to the stadiums so much he could probably drive there blindfolded. Like you said, it's not Rodeo Drive... but just don't go wandering into neighborhoods.

OK Joe's is good, but both Bryant's and Gates are closer to the stadium if you want to kill some time. And if you've got less than two hours to kill, you might just want to go in, watch BP and enjoy the ambiance. Strolling around the fountains is a wonderful way to kill some time, particularly if it's hot and there's a breeze blowing.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

One of the hotels across the interstate from the stadium has an indoor water park, but I can't remember which one.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info.

I haven't been in the stadium for a while. When I covered games there in the mid '80s, the stadium seemed plastic and sterile. I'm looking forward to seeing how it was reworked.

It will be the first Major League game for the boy, so whatever is there will be great.

He's a big fan of the history and stories in baseball, but until recently, didn't much care about the day-to-day games and standings.

He loves the team a lot of other folks love to hate and has high regard for the player that a lot of folks say is overrated. It just worked out that they are playing in KC exactly on his 10th birthday.

12. billikens

billikens Member

If it's his first game, take him by the Guest Services office and let them know. They have a certificate (and maybe something else, can't remember) for a kid's first MLB game.

Draft saved Draft deleted