1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Foodie Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs. W and I were early adopters on the tasting menu thing. I generally am not a fan of anything more than maybe 6 courses, unless everything is built around a certain ingredient. I often leave better places not stuffed. When I went to French Laundry, I was certainly not stopping off for Taco Bell, but I wasn't super full.

For me, the dining experience is about either conversation with friends or, if I am going to a nicer place, trying something which we simply can't make at home. Our favorite place has a menu which changes monthly, but they always have a steak dish, which others have raved about. I have no desire to order it, because I make a pretty decent steak at home.

Last night at that place, we had fresh sardines in a spicy oil, prawns with a miso seaweed butter, chicken thighs over a ribolitta and local cheeses for dessert. That to me is good living.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll have conversation if my mouth isn't full.

The dining experience is all about eating for me.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

A $100 grilled cheese? That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

(no seriously, it's gold)

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/theres-a-restaurant-in-chicago-selling-a-100-grilled-1562023277

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

On our way to Lake Erie wine country today, I was able to cross one off my bucket list: Denny's Beer Barrel Pubin Clearfield, Pa.

Did NOT tackle the two-pound Burger Challenge (because I want to live), but did have a fantastic Kobe beef burger with caramelized onions and peppers and cheddar.

Fabulous little dive.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now this is a dedicated foodie. Everyone is looking to arrest him, but he's still hitting up his favorite restaurants:

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Heading to CT next weekend for a beer-based bash, then Mrs. Fly and I will be exploring New England for the following week. Will be trying to go authentic for seafood (seaside shacks, no white table cloth restaurants). Got great recommendations from some friends who are/were locals. Woodmans or JT Farnum's in Essex, MA....Brown's in NH...Lobster Shack outside Portland, ME , Duckfat in Portland, maybe Miyake's Pai Men Ramen in Portland, too...Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier, VT...Farmhouse Tap and Grill in Burlington, VT.

Can't wait!

Locals can chime in with their suggestions. We are avoiding Boston on this trip so North Shore to Portsmouth, NH to Portland, ME to Montpelier/Burlington, VT. Let's hear it.

7. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Pai Men Miyake is definitely worth a stop. I was there a few weeks ago and it is great. They also have a tremendous beer list with great Allagash and Oxbow selections, among others.

In Mass. I recommend Roy Moore Lobster Co in Rockport. Thry have great prices on steamed lobsters and delicious smoked fish.

8. Key

Key Well-Known Member

It's been too long since my last visit to offer a suggestion, but I love Portsmouth. Great little town.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thurston Lobster Pound if you are in the Acadia area.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This just arrived fem Texas, a Thank You gift. What do I have to look forward to?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

None of y'all post a cake recipe, just in case.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/rainbow-cake-recipe-inspires-comment-apocalypse-1592575661

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Going to a tasting menu dinner tomorrow night based on Copper River salmon. Should be good.

Draft saved Draft deleted