1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reporter who made us look bad...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Jul 31, 2011.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

At the Big Ten meetings in Chicago this last week a Nebraska reporter on day two (Friday) was interviewing Kirk Ferentz of Iowa. He gets done and says, "Coach by girlfriend is a big fan can I get an autograph for her?"

He did it, but his look was priceless. We all were so ticked off when we heard about it. I was with Joe Paterno at the time, but several guys were talking about it moments later.

2. JordanGarretson

JordanGarretson New Member

Just read about this earlier today. I was at the event last year (wasn't there this year because of my internship) but I would have had a hard time keeping a straight face if that happened in front of me.

Guy's also lucky his girlfriend's an Iowa fan because Kirk may be the only one of those 12 coaches who would have obliged. He is overly nice.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Sadly, I had left the Ferentz table before this happened. A friend of mine posted a picture on Twitter of the guy with pad and pen in hand waiting to ask Ferentz for the autograph.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I would have had a hard time not saying something to him later when the coaches were gone. Acting buddy-buddy is one thing but asking for an autograph crosses the line.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

What outlet was he covering for?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wait, a public urination conviction lands you on the sex offender list?

Damn, that means 98 percent of the guys teeing it at golf courses around the country are sex offenders who haven't been caught yet.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I think you clicked the wrong thread.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering. Was it student media, a Web site or a paper?

9. shallow_gal

shallow_gal New Member

TV guy. Oy.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

someone should have said to the guy, "look, that may have flown over in the Big XII, but here in the B1G, that's not how we do."

11. JordanGarretson

JordanGarretson New Member

When I clicked the link, I was pretty surprised to see the guy was older. I imagined some young punk such as myself.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What a fucking toolbag.

Draft saved Draft deleted