1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bahamas trip dos and don'ts? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Heading to the Bahamas Monday morning ... We are staying at The Atlantis.
    Any suggestions ? Reccomendations
    I've heard to use Skype instead of cell phones. And pack snacks because meals and pretty expensive.
    Anything else?
    Places to see or explore?

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Be prepared for food sticker shock at Atlantis. And be prepared to walk a lot. The place is HUGE.

I was too afraid to try it but the Leap of Faith water slide is supposed to be fun.

Pack lots of sunscreen!

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Are you staying in a time share or renting a hotel room?

Few things, Atlantis is my favorite resort destination, prefer it to Disneyland and Disneyworld. Between the waterslides and beach I was never bored or felt crowded despite being there during US Thanksgiving.

You will be directed to an info booth right after check in where they will try to get you to come to a time share presentation. Last time I was there they were giving a $250 resort credit for attending but I never made it. As per typical timeshare people they are fairly aggressive but they don't hassle you outside in the pool/beach area.

Nassau itself is a charmelss port city (have done business there in addition to vacation). There are some party options downtown if that is your thing, Sr Frogs, but I never felt compelled to get off the resort.

The Straw Market is fun if you want some knock off handbags or cheapo souveniers but other than that not so great. I always hit it when I am there but don't plan on spending more than an hour or so. It is not an all day market by any means. There is a big taxi boat that takes you from the Atlantis marina to the dock by the straw market that was cheaper than a cab.

Have your cab driver stop at a grocery store and stock up on bottled water and beer. You will get sticker shock at the prices for food and drink. There are a few cheaper restaurants that are a short walk. Typical Atlantis buffet runs around 50.

Trip Advisor has lots of posts on Atlantis as well.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I stayed at Sandals in Nassau and every morning I would get up and jog into town. Nassau is far safer than anywhere in Jamaica, so don't be afraid to walk around and explore.
    If you're looking for shopping, the Straw Market is ok and you can work on your haggling skills.
    If you're looking for food outside of the resort, I recommend Fish Fry. Very good food.
    If you watch Top Chef, Fish Fry was the place that almost burnt down during a challenge during the Bahamas season. Don't worry about that, the food is very good.
    Oh and try the conch fritters. Everywhere has them and everywhere they are delicious.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Also, if you want to get away from the craziness at Atlantis, go over to the Ocean Club and have dinner or a drink at Dune. Expensive, but the food is great and it's beautiful and relaxing over there.

6. Thanks!

We are staying in the hotel.
    Are the beaches any fun? Are there any waves?

We are going snorkeling Friday - which I love to do.

Thanks again ya'll.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Which tower are you in?

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

snorkel the reefs. take vanilla wafers. the little sgt. majors love them and will come right up to you if you crumble them in the water.

don't rent scooters. the Bahamian drivers will run you over.

get in a taxi and tell the driver to take you where he goes to eat. I've done that more than once. my party has always been the only white faces in the crowd, but it's nothing to get alarmed about. the food is EXCELLENT. I still remember one piece of fried grouper that makes me misty eyed.

conch fritters - yes.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My wife and I went to Nassau about 20 years ago. The main street downtown is safe, but don't venture into the neighborhood off that street. It definitely was not safe.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've only done the timeshare presentation thing once, but I wonder:

They were pretty aggressive with me, not so with others.

When you fill out the initial form, does the income you put down determine how aggressive they are?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Beaches are fun there, waves were not good enough to body surf but fun enough to play in. There are a lot of lifeguards around and they are pretty quick to close the beach if conditions warrant it.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Dos - Take me with you

Draft saved Draft deleted