1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Beat Writer -- The (Lafayette, La.) Daily Advertiser,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is certainly true and we've all discussed at length what is happening in the business as a whole and with Gannett in particular.

However, show me one newspaper, anywhere at any paper or any size where someone is guaranteed to be in that same position five years from now. Job stability simply doesn't exist in this business -- and many other businesses, for that matter --- anymore.

Was talking to a younger colleague recently about a certain job opening (not this one) and said "If it appeals to you, go for it. Do your best. Let the chips falls where they may. If something bad happens, take the positives from it and move on to something else. But don't let a fear of what might happen stop you from going after something you might want."

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Generally, I agree.

But this is Gannett we're talking about here...

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't recall the Cajuns being in the Southland in any sport in the '90s.

4. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Is the jack about 50K yearly?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'd be willing to bet that it will be filled by someone already in the Gannett family.

6. JP24

JP24 New Member

This was my gig from December 2007-June 2011. I left the job in June after being asked by management to beef up the area's K-12 education beat.

After I made that move, veteran reporter Brady Aymond slid over to cover the Cajuns. Brady recently accepted a position with our old friend Bob Heist at the Pensacola newspaper, a move that opened up a chance for someone else to cover the Cajuns.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about this job. I'll share whatever info I can for those interested.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I hope that's a joke ...

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

So Brady worked about a month in this beat, if my math is correct.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it is, I'm going to hold my breath waiting for an apology to all those outside the family who waited their precious time and effort...

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's about the size of it.

11. JP24

JP24 New Member

Yep, but I can't blame him - and don't think anyone else should - for accepting a job offer in Pensacola.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I highly doubt Bob would post here anything to that nature. I guess this just teaches us -- and hopefully other quality candidates -- never to apply at a Gannett position. (Though some of us may have enough evidence for that already.)

Draft saved Draft deleted