Author Topic: College Beat Writer -- The (Lafayette, La.) Daily Advertiser,  (Read 8757 times)

Offline dkphxf

The Daily Advertiser is looking for a college beat writer to cover the University of Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajun athletic department. Main responsibilities will be to cover the Division I athletic program in the Sun Belt Conference. The ideal candidate will be able to show a successful portfolio that includes enterprise work, exclusive breaking news and social media.

Please send resume and 6-8 clips to Kevin Foote, sports editor, at [email protected].

Please reference UL REPORTER JOB in the subject line. Deadline to apply is July 24.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1268951

Looks like a decent gig.

Offline Steak Snabler

Re: College Beat Writer -- The (Lafayette, La.) Daily Advertiser,
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
Lafayette can be a really fun town if you're a young, single person.

ULL's pretty wretched in football, though.
"I never saw The Godfather, but I enjoyed his work in ... Canadian Bacon" — smallpotatoes, on the late G.D. Spradlin

"They can kiss my f***in' ass, right downtown, and print it!!" — Lee Elia, 4/29/83

Offline Matt Stephens

• Don't ruin my childhood, Michael Bay
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
A couple good opportunities lately for writers to get their first college beat.

Offline dirtybird

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
Looks like a heck of a job.

Offline StaggerLee

• Is it me? Or JYD?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »
Lafayette's a great place to live and the UL beat is not a bad beat at all, as far as college beats go.

The programs haven't been world-beaters, but the football team has a new coach in place and there's excitement for this season and beyond. The basketball program has Bob Marlin in his second year and is coming off a good late-season surge.

Baseball is usually pretty good and made it to the CWS in 2000. Softball is interesting in that it's considered a high priority in the beat. The softball program is a perennial top 25 team and is pretty much a shoe-in for regional play every year.

Obviously there's a lot of good food to eat in this area. New Orleans is two hours away, Baton Rouge is an hour away.

Anyone have any further questions, you can PM me and I can maybe fill in some details (although I don't know the pay range, so don't ask me that. LOL)

Offline wicked

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »
It's a great gig, if you wanna sweat bullets and wonder if you'll make it through Gannett's next quarterly purge.

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »
Wicked is right about Gannett. The paper is a shell of its former self and is down to three on the sports staff, if I'm not mistaken (the design hub taking away deskers, of course).

But I love Lafayette as a mid-sized town. Great food, good fun. It's not just a good place for single people. Pretty good schools there too.

This is an intriguing one.

Offline tripleoption34

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:34:14 PM »
Always used to love going through there when they were in the Southland Conference back in the 90s.

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
Always used to love going through there when they were in the Southland Conference back in the 90s.

You'd have to go back a lot further than the 90s to find them in the SLC. They left in the mid-80s. By the 90s they were either in the American South (football independent) or the Sun Belt (probably still a football independent until the SBC added football).

Offline tripleoption34

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:06 PM »

You'd have to go back a lot further than the 90s to find them in the SLC. They left in the mid-80s. By the 90s they were either in the American South (football independent) or the Sun Belt (probably still a football independent until the SBC added football).

Not in the football sense, but did cross through there with basketball/baseball/softball during that time. Should have clarified, but good pickup, Brian.

Offline Steak Snabler

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
They were also in the Big West (at least in football) for a short time in the mid-90s.
"I never saw The Godfather, but I enjoyed his work in ... Canadian Bacon" — smallpotatoes, on the late G.D. Spradlin

"They can kiss my f***in' ass, right downtown, and print it!!" — Lee Elia, 4/29/83

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 09:43:59 PM »
They were also in the Big West (at least in football) for a short time in the mid-90s.

I get a point for remembering the American South, but a deduction for forgetting the Big West ...

Offline Mark2010

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
It's a great gig, if you wanna sweat bullets and wonder if you'll make it through Gannett's next quarterly purge.

This is certainly true and we've all discussed at length what is happening in the business as a whole and with Gannett in particular.

However, show me one newspaper, anywhere at any paper or any size where someone is guaranteed to be in that same position five years from now. Job stability simply doesn't exist in this business -- and many other businesses, for that matter --- anymore.

Was talking to a younger colleague recently about a certain job opening (not this one) and said "If it appeals to you, go for it. Do your best. Let the chips falls where they may. If something bad happens, take the positives from it and move on to something else. But don't let a fear of what might happen stop you from going after something you might want."

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »

This is certainly true and we've all discussed at length what is happening in the business as a whole and with Gannett in particular.

However, show me one newspaper, anywhere at any paper or any size where someone is guaranteed to be in that same position five years from now. Job stability simply doesn't exist in this business -- and many other businesses, for that matter --- anymore.

Was talking to a younger colleague recently about a certain job opening (not this one) and said "If it appeals to you, go for it. Do your best. Let the chips falls where they may. If something bad happens, take the positives from it and move on to something else. But don't let a fear of what might happen stop you from going after something you might want."

Generally, I agree.

But this is Gannett we're talking about here...

Offline Johnny Dangerously

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 02:06:58 AM »
I don't recall the Cajuns being in the Southland in any sport in the '90s.
"If you want to know what's going to happen in five years, you don't look in the mainstream, you look at the fringe ..."
-- Steve Jobs

Offline llcharlie

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 03:47:56 AM »
Is the jack about 50K yearly?

Offline Drip

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 06:00:46 AM »

Generally, I agree.

I'd be willing to bet that it will be filled by someone already in the Gannett family.

Offline JP24

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »
This was my gig from December 2007-June 2011. I left the job in June after being asked by management to beef up the area's K-12 education beat.

After I made that move, veteran reporter Brady Aymond slid over to cover the Cajuns. Brady recently accepted a position with our old friend Bob Heist at the Pensacola newspaper, a move that opened up a chance for someone else to cover the Cajuns.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about this job. I'll share whatever info I can for those interested.

Offline Steak Snabler

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
Is the jack about 50K yearly?

I hope that's a joke ...

Offline dkphxf

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 08:00:45 AM »
This was my gig from December 2007-June 2011...After I made that move, veteran reporter Brady Aymond slid over to cover the Cajuns. Brady recently accepted a position with our old friend Bob Heist at the Pensacola newspaper, a move that opened up a chance for someone else to cover the Cajuns.

So Brady worked about a month in this beat, if my math is correct.

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 08:05:17 AM »

Generally, I agree.

I'd be willing to bet that it will be filled by someone already in the Gannett family.

If it is, I'm going to hold my breath waiting for an apology to all those outside the family who waited their precious time and effort...

Offline StaggerLee

• Is it me? Or JYD?
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:32 AM »
This was my gig from December 2007-June 2011...After I made that move, veteran reporter Brady Aymond slid over to cover the Cajuns. Brady recently accepted a position with our old friend Bob Heist at the Pensacola newspaper, a move that opened up a chance for someone else to cover the Cajuns.

That's about the size of it.

Offline JP24

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 08:49:39 AM »

Yep, but I can't blame him - and don't think anyone else should - for accepting a job offer in Pensacola.

Offline dkphxf

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 10:21:19 AM »

Generally, I agree.

If it is, I'm going to hold my breath waiting for an apology to all those outside the family who waited their precious time and effort...

I highly doubt Bob would post here anything to that nature. I guess this just teaches us -- and hopefully other quality candidates -- never to apply at a Gannett position. (Though some of us may have enough evidence for that already.)

Offline Drip

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »

Generally, I agree.

Slappy, that apology ain't coming.