1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Intern, The Birmingham News, Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Gary L

Gary L New Member

Heck of an opportunity. And in reference to Dennis Lin's post, yes, I know of a couple from Ole Miss, one from Vanderbilt and one from Michigan State.

2. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

This is a tremendous opportunity, so jump on it. Tom is an excellent editor, and working in the same office as Kevin Scarbinsky and Jon Solomon provide great chances to speak with thick-skinned columnists and top-notch reporters. Both are very approachable and happy to help.
    And yes, there are opportunities to help with college coverage. A lot of SEC reporters have held this post.

3. Adam Rubin

Adam Rubin New Member

I registered to post so I could endorse this internship. Although the duration has changed to six months since I spent the fall semester of my junior year and then a year after college as an intern at The Birmingham News, and although Ron Ingram has departed since my days there, the staff and I'm sure the experience is largely the same.

I was treated like a regular reporter rather than an intern -- regular assignments such as high school features during the week, Friday night football game and Saturday SEC coverage assistance or small-college game. I actually was able to take classes at UAB that semester that (mostly) transferred back to my university and allowed me to graduate on time.

I was 19 years old from New York in, as the license plates proclaimed, "The Heart of Dixie." And it could not have been a better experience.

I subsequently was offered a job on the metro staff and did that for a while before accepting a sports job elsewhere. When a sports opening arose, I returned as a full-time sports writer and had a great time covering UAB, the Birmingham Barons, now-defunct Birmingham Bulls of the ECHL, etc.

Adam Rubin (intern '93, '95-96)

4. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i was at arizona state, and another who followed me came from ASU as well...

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Ditto.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe this is the next candidate?

[​IMG]

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God I miss the Bulls. Carry on.

8. Young Grasshopper

Young Grasshopper New Member

Any progress on this one? I applied two weeks ago but haven't been able to get through to talk with Tom...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

After the tornadoes, the News announced that Tom Arenberg is on assignment for the next several weeks coordinating tornado coverage, which is probably why you can't get a hold of him.
    Then again, it's probably good for you that you haven't -- since the posting said ...

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Hi, Tom. Grasshopper here.

"Again.

"Please call me back. Peaceout."

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'll have a Budweiser, by the way. <fetchmeabeernewbie>

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He can't get call/no call right. You're going to trust him with the beer order?

Draft saved Draft deleted