1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Intern, The Birmingham News, Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 23, 2011.

1. johann

johann Guest

Have six months gone by already?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1177124

Company: The Birmingham News
    Position: Sports Intern
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 28, 2011
    Job ID: 1177124

The Birmingham News seeks a six-month, full-time, paid sports reporter intern. Coverage emphasis on high school sports, but significant college and general assignment work as well. This is on-the-job experience for a recent college graduate. Desired start date AUGUST 1st, 2011.

Candidates may send a cover letter, resume, work samples and references to: The Birmingham News Attn: HR/Matt Havard PO Box 2553 Birmingham, AL 35203 No Phone calls please. The Birmingham News Multimedia THIS IS OUR STORY. EOE

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the guy who was there didn't get a renewal?

3. Andrew Gribble

Andrew Gribble New Member

Had this internship in Fall 2007. It was hands down the most important six months of development I had throughout college.

If the internship is relatively similar to what it was when I had it, the ad is accurate that the brunt of the work will be on preps. But there are definitely opportunities to cover Alabama and Auburn football.

Tom Arenberg will work you hard and get the best out of you. The preps entourage at the paper is full of good people, too.

PM if you have any other questions.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Would that were an actual OPENING for a reporter, but I agree... that's invaluable experience. Birmingham seems to be a paper that gets it, especially with its sports coverage. Andrew, sounds like you got a lot out of it.

Good luck to whoever gets this!

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They generally bring in a new one every six months.

6. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

if you're in college and looking at doing this for a living (why?), do this. it was a great six months. and arenberg is still my favorite boss. i interned there back in '98-'99.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

One of my college buddies got this internship and he parlayed it into several good gigs down the line. A great opportunity at a great section.

8. Dennis Lin

Dennis Lin New Member

Have they ever taken someone from out of state for this particular position? Say, 2,000-miles-away out of state? Seems as if they'd want to stay fairly local.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Some places will keep a guy around for an extra six months. Just was asking, that's all.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a good internship. However, if you are at a dual-semester institution, it's kind of hard to partake.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know of at least two Ole Miss grads who had that internship, as well as a guy from Vandy. I don't think proximity is an issue.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Paging UAB J-School students.

Seems like a great opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted