1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer Cat Fight

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Mission accomplished, Boom.

This thread makes me sad.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For fuck's sake Jones, you just gave these trolls what they wanted with that post. They were trolling you, and you just paid them off.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There's a point here. But, coming at it from another direction, I think the failure angle is a little too black and white, even for you, Chris. Maybe that's exactly how you feel. But have you ever told someone who was going through a difficult time that expressing their feelings might help? I'm guessing you have.

So, what of the person — let's say he's a journalist with a modicum of writing talent who at the time doesn't have a professional outlet for his creativity — who finds himself in a really bad spot. And one day, he decides to start writing. And through that writing, the fog starts to lift. It's a cathartic experience that helps him deal with a world he'd been trying to avoid. Eventually, a select few people see the work. But it never gains what anyone would call an audience, despite how much he puts into it, how much it helped change his life, how proud of it he is. Is that person a failure?

I ask in all seriousness. I'm not trying to pick a fight. I respect honesty, even if I don't always agree with the form it takes. I read your blog because it's interesting. I'd like to know what you think. Feel free to pm me if you don't want any response to clog up this thread.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yep.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damnit, this is why I should never skip posts. I suppose you answered my question with the journalism business specifics.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wish I could rewind and not have read this page.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Damn straight. Well, except for the part about trolling. It's amusing how people who are so f-ing certain they are right drop that in when they get proved wrong.

But the guy who apparently thinks he's greater than Shakespeare failed at staying above it all and proving how noble he is.

Face it, guy -- the article wasn't as great as you thought it was. Let that sink in -- not as great as you thought.

Now, move on. You know, like the rest of us do.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Inky, YF, secretariat (the fuck?), is there any defense for this? [/killingmychancesforapm]

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Glad I wandered back over to this thread. As internet smackdowns go, that was fucking spectacular.

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

The next question: When does his cloying entourage show up to raise the fallen flag?

P.S.: Even before I finished typing this! Bravo!

11. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

More mitigation than defense. A man's patience has a threshold. Each man's is different. Jones' threshold was crossed.

EDIT: And Martin's trolling of multiple people continues unabated. We all have our parts to play, I suppose.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now I think you're really off base.

If anything, I'd say he was insecure about the article. He said he was worried he hadn't done his subject justice.

He said he only thought about it as a potential award winner after he received feedback from it.

So, he got his hopes up and was disappointed, big deal.

I swear, I don't know who else here watches Top Chef, but the more I think about it the more Jones reminds me of Richard Blais (who I'm a fan of).

Blais is incredibly talented, but after each competition he's worried that his dish is the worst or that the judges "won't get it". He's afraid he'll be sent home.

Then he wins the competition, is relieved, and feels good about himself. Or, they give him good feedback at the judges table, so he gets his hopes up, and is then disappointed that he didn't win.

Hey, Jones should do an article on Blais.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.