1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuggets, Knicks make trade that brings neither closer to a title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Anthony (and friends) is a Knick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6145912&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_6145912

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Our long national nightmare is over.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I think Denver got the better end of this. Felton is a good PG, Gallinari and Mosgov still have plenty of room for improvement, Chandler can score. Plus, they got all that extra cash and all those draft picks.

NY needed 'Melo because that opportunity doesn't come around often and Denver would have lost him in free agency, but to instantly break up the team you built up for a player you obviously overpaid for (because of hype) and could have gotten in free agency anyway? Ouch. Interesting to see how Melo and Amar'e will play together; two guys with no defensive capabilities.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

It's not the four first rounders that had been rumored, but Chandler, Felton, Gallinari and Mozgov is a shit ton to give up for a one-dimensional scorer.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Not to mention an aging Billups. He won Finals MVP almost seven years ago...

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not unless Eddy Curry is involved.

Knicks gave up way too much. Chandler and Gallinari would have been enough straight up for Anthony (I'll admit, I don't know all the salary cap stuff).

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I head Ben Maller on FSN talking about how we now enjoy talking more about players possibly playing for another team than we do talking about players actually playing on the teams they are on. I can't disagree.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

This league is so fucking fixed. Why doesn't Stern just contract everyone but the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics and Heat. Let them play each other 27 times per season before the usual three-month playoffs.

The day Stern finally retires will be the day I begin to consider taking the NBA seriously again.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nuggets certainly got a much better deal than the Cavaliers did.

So much for the no-defense, prima Donna underachiever playing for the Nuggets tomorrow.

I'm no Nuggets fan, but I'm glad he's not going to my team.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

All the while, nobody says a damn word about the supremely skilled but supremely modest Kevin Durant. The NBA these days is a joke league.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At least The Knicks did not have to give up Eddy Curry. This deal has Isiah Thomas's prints all over it. Donnie Walsh works for 3 years to rebuild team and it gets swept away in one night.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Nuggets, Knicks make trade that brings neither closer to a title

I have actually watched a bit of the Knicks this season, after giving up pro basketball for the first time since I did some writing about it. Those Isaiah teams were too much to stomach. But I came back this year and have been to a few Knicks games. Felton and Gallinari have been major factors in their reemergence. It hasn't just been a Stoudemire show, as great as Stoudemire has been. Felton is a solid B+/A- PG, who plays well in big moments, and Gallinari has toughened up year by year. He is a very good shooter, but with some added muscle, he is pretty bold about driving to the basket now. And most importantly, his defense is 100 times better than it was. He was a liability on defense. Now you can leave him one on one and take your chances -- even if he still has a ways to go. But he has show that he can improve and likely will continue to.

I didn't like this trade for them, and I can't imagine Donnie Walsh was on board. I like Anthony on that team with the run and gun approach. He may fit in really nicely next to Stoudemire. But Felton was holding that thing to together and seemed to have found a style that fit well with Mike D'Antoni's flawed, "forget defense, run the ball up court" approach. I am not sure Billups can be that PG, and even if he adapts, the Knicks got a guy in his mid 30s for a guy in his mid 20s. One is not appreciately better at this point (we are not talking Billups 8 years ago).

I think they should have held a harder line, not let Jimmy Boy show his cards so early and see if they could have walked away with Felton still, while even offering Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Currie's expiring contract, Anthony Randolf and any draft pricks they could scrounge up. I think master-negotiator (blue fong) Dolan, showed his cards and ended up costing them on a deal that Donnie Walsh could have gotten done at a lot less steep price.

Draft saved Draft deleted