1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This can be a good opportunity for DiBiase to shine, if he's given the chance. Regal is basically retired, so they pretty much will just use him as roster filler.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

No doubt that was the most predictable double-draft move in WWE history. And every time they do something stupid with Cena, I dislike him less.

Seeing Jim Ross in the ring, a man who has had a stroke, is beyond ridiculous. My wife was saying "I'm glad he's wearing a Sooners jersey instead of a tight." Well, my thinking is similar when discussing Jerry Lawler. Still, Michael Cole was pretty funny in the early going of this episode. I can't say that every week.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think they might be grooming Regal to be a color commentator, because he's already doing it for NXT and would be an upgrade from Booker T on Smackdown.

DiBiase might benefit the most from this move, or else he'll be getting cut soon. He needs a few months to rehab and possibly reinvent his character. Doing a 21st Century Million Dollar Man wasn't the worst gimmick for him, except that he doesn't have an eighth the charisma of his dad.

The brand dilution doesn't help with making the draft seem like a big deal, but the other thing is with only two brands, it's not like there's any truly big moves to make outside of Cena to Smackdown. OMG KOFI KINGSTON IS ON RAW except oh yeah, he was on Raw until he got drafted to Smackdown last year. You hang around enough, you'll jump brands multiple times. How many have stayed on one brand exlusively? Probably not that many, since Alberto Del Rio and Daniel Bryan have already had a switch.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Sheamus to SD. Now US and IC champs on same show, yes?

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

So predictable once McIntyre was moved to Raw. They sound too much alike!

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don't think Ross ever had a stroke. He has Bell's palsy, which is what caused his facial paralysis.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

The double draft for Cena was stupid. This is the kind of crap that makes me advocate for ending the brand extension.

8. Moving Alex Riley to Smackdown sounds foolish on the surface, but I think he's got the potential and makeup to be a main event-caliber performer in the next few years. Freeing him from being Alfie to The Miz's Spike puts the spotlight on him and could set the seeds for a possible teacher v. student feud down the road.

Wouldn't be shocked if Batista returned later this year in a heel role. How cool would it be in (humor me for a moment) if they got serious about tag teams and paired Batista with Mason Ryan? Of course, that requires WWE using an elusive trait called "creativity" to pull this off.

Not hoping for it, but would like to see how WWE would fare in a scenario where Cena was legitimately out for 6-12 months and Jericho chose not to return. No Trips, Cena, Jericho or Undertaker....hey, Vince, that means you'd have be (wait for it) creative.

9. Mystery Meat II

I presume Sheamus or Wade Barrett will lose their title to a Raw wrestler in a hastily-arranged match at Extreme Rules (the moves don't take effect until after the PPV).

Final count:

RAW: Rey Mysterio, Big Show, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger, Kelly Kelly, JTG, Drew McIntyre, Curt Hawkins, Chris Masters, Kofi Kingston, Tyler Reks, Beth Phoenix

SMACKDOWN: Randy Orton, Mark Henry, Sin Cara, Daniel Bryan, Great Khali, Jimmy and Jey Uso, Alicia Fox, William Regal, Yoshi Tatsu, Natalya, Ted DiBiase, Tyson Kidd, Tamina, Alex Riley, Sheamus

Surprisingly, I'd say Smackdown came out ahead. Orton replaces Edge as lead face, Sheamus replaces Del Rio or Swagger as the No. 2 or 3 heel, Bryan gets a fresh start, Henry gets to refresh his character with a heel turn, Sin Cara gets to have his many botches edited out, DiBiase gets another chance and Riley might be the Cody Rhodes of this year's draft -- the young guy who uses the move to the B show to elevate himself.

Outside of Del Rio and Kingston (and maybe Swagger, depending on how things develop), Raw doesn't get that much. Mysterio is one knee injury or money dispute away from leaving, Big Show is who he is and that's not changing and McIntyre is too much of a wild card.

These moves almost assure that Christian is walking out of Extreme Rules with the title, unless they make an 11th-hour change to the match, perhaps adding one Smackdown's pickups such as Sheamus or (total longshot) Bryan.

10. Mystery Meat II

That's what I'm thinking. He can even get his own flunkie from NXT (Lucky Cannon?) to be his VP of Corporate Comminications. The move with the most potential.

If creativity means matching Botchtista and super-green Mason Ryan, I'd say pass. Not that the tag team ranks can't use a boost or that the two shouldn't be in some sort of program together, but that'd be one awful team.

WWE is, if nothing else, surprisingly resilient to major departures, be it unexpected retirements, departures or in the case of Eddy Guerrero, death. Jericho is on his way back, Batista could be convinced to return and if nothing else, HHH could come back for another run. Plus the Miz and Del Rio are in the main event mix, Doplh Ziggler, Jack Swagger and Sheamus have been there and Cody Rhodes appears greenlighted for the upper card by the end of the year, so they'd find a way to make up for the loss of Cena. They've done it before.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Didn't this happen roughly around the time Cena tore his triceps and was gone until the Rumble? I think we had Orton and HHH feuding for the title. At the same time, I think Undertaker, Kennedy and Edge were out with injuries, maybe, which meant Khali winning the title in a battle royal and then eventually dropping it in a feud with Batista. ick.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Re: Mister's spoiler, that would be huge if the WWE lost him. He is one of their few young, established bankable guys. If it wasn't for the fact that TNA already has too many talented guys they don't know what to do with, I'd argue that they should go after him. He has all the credibility of being a top WWE guy without the baggage of drug issues or injuries, like other WWE to TNA signings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.