1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Geldof: Feed the world, just shove my song...what other songs shall we shove

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Dec 1, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/326331/whats-the-worst-song-in-history/

Said he hated it. I didn't think it was bad, nor an ancient one (someone's really dense that told him that).

But it makes me wonder: What's the worst song you've ever heard?

1, "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tennille, hands down.

2, Billy, Don't Be a Hero ~~ Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods

3, 'Whoomp! (There It Is)' Tag Team

4, "Disco Duck" -- Rick Dees

5, "Afternoon Delight"...Starland Vocal Band.

Honorable mention: Most John Denver songs.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

We've done this before printdust and there are some pretty good picks on your list but the all-time worst song is...

The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace.

Followed by Copacabana and most of the rest of Barry Manilow's dreck (Hi IJAG ;)).

And the best bad song ever recorded is Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass ... especially if you know the backstory of the band and the song.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Afternoon Delight is one of those songs that's so bad, it's good. That goes for most of the songs recorded in the 1970s. I mean, that's the decade Kiss did disco, for Christ's sake.

"Do They Know It's Christmas" is pretty far from awful--the best of the end hunger songs, for sure. I like the understated nature of it, as opposed to everyone in "We Are The World" trying to outscream each other.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Daddy was a cop
    on the east side of Chicago.

Uhmmm... the "east side of Chicago" is about 5 miles out in Lake Michigan.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I love Whoomp, There It Is, and not in some wannabe hipster way.

I can dig it.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, it actually sounded like a cohesive song, and not a series of 15-second soundbites weaved ham-handedly through a chorus that makes the Sesame Street theme sound like Surfjan Stevens.

It's easy to bust on I Would Do Anything For Love, but if you want true Meat Loaf wretchedness, I submit Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are:

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Anything by these guys...

[​IMG]

But Chop Suey is dreadful.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Off the Christmas card list.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Count me among those who loves "Do they know it's Christmas"

One of my favorites.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a hard time understanding how this song can be disliked.

11. I nominate Puddle of Mudd's "She Hates Me" as the worst song ever.

What a steaming load of shit.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Uh, because it's overwrought, self important preaching in the guise of a Christmas song?

I can understand hating the song, but Geldorf should be grateful at the royalty checks those two songs keep sending his way.

And NOTHING compares to "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris in the conversation for Worst. Song. Ever. Nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted