1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy chief, Bleacher Report (San Francisco)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Nov 23, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

BigEast, Are you sure it is making money? It is out there raising venture capital; just got another $10.5 million. I know from the stories they are growing revenues and readers, but I have never seen anything saying they are making money, and I kind of assumed that if they are out there raising money, the thing isn't profitable (yet or never?).

2. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

Ragu, good point on the money outlook. I figured they were making money and from some articles they are getting big bucks invested in the thing. Thought the hirings might mean it is lucrative and growing and that they needed to bring on more paid writers. It's a good idea to get free content from fans -- no matter the quality -- building it up, then hire actual writers to take it from there. The only problem is many are realizing anyone can write and post articles, which allows anything and everything to be published with their name on the line.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

$10.5 in venture capital is not big bucks. They're just trying to find some dough until AOL, News Corp. or Yahoo buys them out.

Draft saved Draft deleted