1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy chief, Bleacher Report (San Francisco)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Nov 23, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bleacher Report, the web's fasting growing sports network, is seeking an experienced Copy Chief to manage a copy editing staff of 30.

The Copy Chief will be responsible for:

* Reviewing and Managing Existing Copy Editing Staff

* Hiring Additional Staff Members

* Optimizing Resource Allocation Processes

* Training Copy Editing Staff

* Maintaining and Enhancing Editorial Standards

* Ensuring Clean Copy Across All Published Content

* Managing Fact-Checking Processes

* Headline Best Practices

* Overseeing New York City and San Francisco Copy Editing Operations

Skills:

* Skilled Manager & Administrator

* Excellent Communicator

* Comfort Working With Product & Engineering Teams

* Strong Background in Journalism and Copy Editing

* SEO Experience

Please respond to dfinocchio@bleacherreport.com with a cover letter and resume.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1214957

2. Schottey

Schottey Guest

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

hounds, the release

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Oh boy. I'm pretty up on all the WAGS, I think I'll apply.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

To any body who applies, your highered!

<The above sentence was written to conform to Bleacher Report style.>

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

*Two

7. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

LMAO @ Inky!!

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget, you have to be able to count to 10. All those lists.

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Since this thread has been buried for a month, I'm assuming no one has heard anything. For the record, I sent BR a cover letter and resume and received nothing whatsoever acknowledging my package was received. I made one phone call and sent two follow-up e-mails and never heard a thing.

I'm sorry, but in the J world in which I was raised, even the big players of the newspaper biz (those that would receive three digits worth of packets for an opening) would mail you a postcard.

Since being laid off by Modesto in the fall of '08, I've applied for several jobs, and if only I had a dollar for every paper/Web site/whatever that completely ignored me ...

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How come this isn't showing up on Google News?

11. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

BR is a garbage website, in my opinion. It's not really journalism, nor authentic sports writing. Most I'm sure are aware of this. Credibility and overall originality is lacking. Those who really know this field can see as much.

As mentioned above, it's well known they love making countdown lists with brief explanations. There is no game coverage, no interviewing, no getting calls out, no breaking news, etc. It's amateur commentary, but I will give it credit for one thing: it seems to be making money in this anemic market.

Not convinced the guys running the thing are what most readers of this message board would describe as professional. And I am aware that BR regularly seeks volunteer copy editors. Seems they've got "job" listings of different varieties popping up quite often.

But, if someone's got a shot, it's money and it's San Fran, though I'd also look into getting at least one roommate to survive on the bones they'll throw your way. Probably best for a young, mobile and single guy or gal.

12. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Big, I'm with you on everything you're saying.

I'm looking for an income supplement to my current full-time newspaper gig (which I absolutely love) and, considering most of the BR content is dirty, knew I could clean it up considerably. But if the people "running the thing," as you put it, won't even acknowledge someone who's interested in a job they're posting, then you probably don't want to work for them.

On to something else ...

Draft saved Draft deleted