1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McDonald's sweet potato pies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Oct 6, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Didn't know that McDonald's was dishing up sweet potato pies.

Just like their baked apples pies but with sweet taters that looked more like pumpkin mashed up.

Had one at lunch today and was really tasty.

Has anyone else seen them out there?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sweet potato is supposed to be one of the healthiest things you can eat.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's really healthier, but we stopped eating regular french fries and buy only sweet potato fries, Ore Ida makes good ones.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sweet potatoes are phenomenally healthy. I'm sure McDonald's has managed to negate that.

As for Ore Ida, theirs aren't that great for you. 7g of fat. Their crinkle cut fries have only 3g. But if you buy a sweet potato, cut it into fries and bake them, they're excellent for you.

5. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

It was sweet potato and not pumpkin? McDonald's has pumpkin pies as a seasonal menu item here.

The McDonald's pies were better when they deep fried them back in the day.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

sweet-potato fries are da bomb! 8) :D ;)

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

During the North Carolina years, I frequented Bojangle's only for their sweet potato pies. Haven't seen the pies at any McDonald's here in Ohio, but I'll keep an eye out for them, see if they compare at all.

8. Oh good god do I miss me some bojangles. Moved away from NC about 11 years ago after living there for a year, and Bojangles catered the Kinston Indians games I used to cover. I miss it. Of course, if I had another year of their biscuits and sweet tea (or baked butter and watered-sugar as I called them), I would be dead right now, so I guess it all worked out in the end. :)

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

hmmmm I wonder where you are. Up here in New England they have been calling them pumpkinpies for a couple years. I wonder if down south and midwest they use the same product and call them sweet taters?

10. What's taters, precious? </Gollum>

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd bet there's a little nutritional difference between a baked sweet potato and a McDonald's sweet potato pie.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are so damn cynical. I look at it as a "value added" basked sweet potato.

Draft saved Draft deleted