1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U. of Va. magazine editor commits suicide, blames bullying boss

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

52-year-old editor for a University of Virginia magazine committed suicide at the end of July, claiming his boss kept bullying and harassing him:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/MindMoodResourceCenter/editors-suicide-draws-attention-workplace-bullying/story?id=11421810&page=2

The poor guy, who did suffer from clinical depression, made 18 complaints to higher-ups in the final two weeks before he killed himself. Other workers also complained, yet the boss remained on the job. The boss sent an e-mail after the suicide to the staff, which essentially confirms he is a douche:

"As Kevin struggled through these issues, particularly in the last year, his work suffered and his demeanor, to my mind, was often unacceptable for the workplace. We feuded over this often, and the majority of the VQR staff sided with Kevin.

"Kevin in particular had a history of disagreeing with his bosses, and now that I was the boss I should expect to be hated," Genoways wrote.

Instead of just writing a concilatory message, the asshole tries to defend himself. Um, asshole, if the majority of the staff is siding with the employee over you, maybe you need to reexamine your attitude.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Bosses don't have to be liked, but if everyone hates you, you might want to take a hint.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Today Show had another employee on this a.m. and he ripped the boss. Hard. If what the guy says is true, the boss needs to be out of there on a rail.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Think the family lawyered up to make this guy pay?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Workplace bullying in this business is a lot more common than people think, especially with the passive-aggressive nature of most newsrooms I've worked in.

6. writingump

writingump Member

I've worked for guys like this, and while thoughts of suicide never entered my mind, their persona does take a toll on you. They can't take it but they relish in dishing it out -- and often. Without naming names, the last managing editor I had at my last newspaper lived by vendetta. Sorry to hear of this guy's passing and I hope he's now in a better place.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

VQR is a quality publication. One of the very best out there, if you like the long-form.

The editor, who killed himself, was the one that took VQR to the mountaintop, or, at the very least, kept it there.

This is some terrible news.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Been there.

Didn't do that.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What a fucking asshole ... glad I don't work for him.

10. I think many of us have known bosses who would consider someone's suicide a badge of honor.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

my ex-publisher never took the hint. not at least until they showed him the door.

12. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

We had a suicide in one of my former shops, and it changed my boss' attitude. Then, after a while, their attitude changed back to the one we had all grown to know and despise.
    Sorry for the editor, the family and the co-workers.

Draft saved Draft deleted