1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with column

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by CYowSMR, Jun 24, 2010.

1. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I am a GA news guy who loves sports, so my ME gave me the opportunity to write a weekly column about the Atlanta Braves.

I am only allowed to go 450-500 words (I guess so I keep my priorities straight), but I was wondering if you guys could help me with the way I wanted to do this week's column.

I want to be a "list" of replacement possibilities, but should I do it bullet-style or incorporate it into the article?

Take a look and tell me what you would change:

Who’s gonna fill his cleats? Five possible replacements for Bobby Cox
    By Chris Yow
    cyow@sandmountainreporter.com

2,100 wins, 14 division titles, five pennants and a World Championship are what Bobby Cox has given to the Atlanta Braves baseball club.
    Not bad for a former New York Yankee.
    There are a few people, however, who do not think Cox has been a great manager due to having a spectacular pitching staff throughout the 1990s, yet winning just the one World Series.
    Nonetheless, Cox is retiring following the 2010 season, and will likely be remembered by many Braves’ fans as the man who took them to the top.
    With the fourth most wins as a manager in Major League Baseball history, Cox will certainly be enshrined into Cooperstown.
    But the person who follows Cox will need to be energetic and ready to step into a team building on the successes of Cox.
    Five people who could replace Cox as manager are:
    • Terry Pendleton – As current hitting coach for the Braves, Pendleton is in the ripe position to step in and become the team’s manager. A former player under Cox, Pendleton has a lot to offer the club in a coaching aspect. He is easily the favorite via public opinion.
    • Ned Yost – Yost left the Braves’ third base coaches box for a spot in Milwaukee as manager. He never fared well there, and has not done too well in Kansas City as of late, but Yost has a lot of years under his belt and could be just the right fit to bring back to Atlanta.
    • Dave Brundage – Currently the manager just a few miles northeast of Atlanta in Gwinnett for the Braves’ AAA ball club. He won the Governor’s Cup with the Richmond, now Gwinnett, Braves in the team’s last season in Richmond. He has won three minor league titles in all, and was the Manager of the Year in 2003.
    • Glenn Hubbard – As far as loyalty goes, Glenn Hubbard is a great choice. Spending 10 of his 12 seasons with Atlanta as a player, including an All-Star season in 1983. Hubbard has been with the Braves 21 years, including the past 12 as first base coach.
    • Fredi Gonzalez – Recently fired Florida Marlins manager, Gonzalez is a long shot, but not as long as some may think. He was the manager in Richmond for the Braves in 2002, and spent the next four seasons as third base coach for Atlanta. His career record as a manager is 354-361 (.495).
    • Dark Horse – Bobby Valentine – Valentine managed the New York Mets to the 2000 NL pennant, and in 15 seasons as a manager compiled a 1,117-1,072 (.510) record. He is the only candidate with no ties to the Braves at all, but his credentials should merit a look from Atlanta.
    Whomever the Braves choose to succeed Cox, the cleats he leaves behind will be mighty hard to fill.

2. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

This was supposed to go in the "Writer's Workshop" area. Guess I'm too technologically dumb to figure out why it did not.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moved. I'd update. Fredi ain't in Florida anymore.

You are a news guy WHO loves sports, not THAT loves sports.

I believe Gwinnett is north of Atlanta. Check that. Also, check on that Governor's Cup thing. Not certain that's correct (though it might be).

They'll name you manager of the Braves before they name Hubbard.

When was Yost in Detroit? I believe he's only one game under .500 with KC but that isn't a large sample size.

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I know Hubbs will never be a manager, but he should at least get an interview for his loyalty. I assumed that because I went 85S out of ATL that it was south of it, but didn't remember turning back to the NE to get there. Again, waiting on my fact checking.

As far as Yost being in Detroit, I must have been dreaming when I wrote that...I have no idea, unless I was talking to someone in the newsroom about GM!

5. Moderator1

Never assume. First rule. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. If you remember no other lessons, remember that one.

And update Fredi. He gone.

6. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

He's updated to "Recently fired Florida Marlins manager"

7. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

The "Governor's Cup" is the International League's championship.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it's the Governors' Cup, with the apostrophe after the s.

9. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

As in multiple governors? Makes sense, but a little odd.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/league3/page.jsp?ymd=20061214&content_id=148619&vkey=league3_l117&fext=.jsp&sid=l117

11. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

OT: But I love the Mitch Hedberg quote. He had some great ones.

12. Moderator1

Yeah - I know. Covered a little IL in my day. Check if Richmond won it during its final season. May well have. Wasn't paying close attention, but I don't remember that.

Draft saved Draft deleted