1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! I've lost my voice

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by doogie448, Jun 11, 2010.

1. doogie448

doogie448 Member

So, I think I've lost my writing voice. I'm two years out of college, and while there I thought I had a pretty good grasp on my writing style.
    This week, during my review, my SE was telling me the things he wanted me to improve on and I heard myself tell him that I was still searching for my voice. After some reflection, I don't think it's an initial search, I think I'm re-trying to find it.
    I've been reading and reading trying to get better, and thanks to schools letting out for the summer, my byline count has been dwindling, reducing my opportunities to write my way out of my funk. I am still writing and reporting, just the stories aren't as frequent, dropping from 1-2 a day to maybe 1 big feature a week.
    So, the question to the folks at large here is: Do I continue to read and potentially screw myself up more or do I abandon that plan of attack and hope my voice chooses to make a re-appearance?

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Try scotch.

3. CR19

CR19 Member

I'm not a veteran by any means, but I think I can offer some advice. To help your writing, try to start up a blog about a sport/team you're a big fan of. That will allow you to work on your writing over the summer when the opportunities aren't there. It can't hurt.

Now to reading: it isn't a bad thing to do. What types of books do you read? Do you have any recent articles to post? This may just be a theory, but you may be trying to match the writing style that you read too much. This may be an extreme example, but it shows the point. Let's say you read Shakespeare (I hope not). You wouldn't write, "What is a long hit? That which we call a home run." Only English professors would be remotely interested in that phrase.

I wouldn't worry about reading screwing you up; I'd make sure that you're not trying to copy writing styles that aren't your own. Develop your own voice. Reading helps you improve your voice, but reading shouldn't lead to a complete overhaul.

Every writer hits a strut now and then. But trust me, it shouldn't be a permanent thing. Hope everything turns out well.

4. AKap

AKap New Member

In your position, I would continue with the reading, but purposefully vary up with the styles of the writers that you read. This will help to broaden and sophisticate your writer's voice, rather than destroying it's unique qualities.

I also believe that starting a blog would be a great help while you are lacking in the jobs department. It will keep your own writing up and provide you with pure fun. You won't really have to worry about being harshly critiqued since it's more of a personal thing, and you can maybe work on other aspects of your story-telling (researching, choosing information, focusing your stories, making things more interesting, etc.).

Just my two cents. I'm no expert, but this is all stuff that I would have in mind. Twist it up in your own way and use it to your advantage :)

Draft saved Draft deleted