1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isola rips Windhorst

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Wow.

"I've got Jerome James on my speed dial and Windhorst has LeBron. Okay, so life isn't fair. I also know that Brian has his resume sitting in the sports office of every New York newspaper and is ready to pounce on one of our jobs should LeBron sign with the Knicks.

I sometimes think that Brian wants to come to New York more than LeBron. He's a huge "Sopranos" fan and fancies himself as LeBron's underboss.

I'm guessing it absolutely killed Brian to write that LeBron is leaning toward staying. It must be true because Brian desperately wants to get out of Ohio and is essentially the best thing the Knicks have going for them: a spy on the inside working on their behalf."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2010/04/if-lebron-stays-in-cleveland-s.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fknicks+%28Blogs%2FKnicks+Knation%29

2. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Wow, what a loser. Windhorst is definitely one of the best, if not the best, beat writer in the NBA. That guy's obviously a little envious.

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I think Isola was trying to be funny here and came off as bitter.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I read it twice and still can't tell. Part of me thought, "he's trying to rip on a buddy but no one else is in on the joke" and part of me thought, "He's trying to drill this guy." Either way, it didnt work.

Was this online only or did it make it into print?

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I believe it was online only, as Windhorst's story is in this morning's paper. May have seen it late on Twitter and responded then.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hell, if you're a working writer in Cleveland and you want to move up and your resume ISN'T on the desk of every newspaper in New York, then you're not trying that hard.

I will never understand the problem with looking for a better job.

7. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Maybe you're right IJAG, and he does. But to me -- and I hope this doesn't piss him off -- this strikes me as a spnited-type "New York City is the only place in the world, and this MUST be what's going on, because why would anyone want to live in Cleveland?!?!?!"

Weak. And Moddy, maybe you're right too, but this doesn't strike me at all as ribbing an old buddy. Why the hell would you rib an old buddy, like that, for 200K (guessing, after the already-moving Twitter thing does its magic) to read?

8. imjustagirl

Joel: It's in the eye of the beholder. I'd rather work for an NY paper than the PD or Beacon Journal. But I like New York. I don't think there's anything wrong with Cleveland, but there's more money, more prestige, etc. with covering a beat at an NY paper.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think his point was working in NY per se, or moving to a better job. I think he was trying to say the guy is ready to jump to NY to continue being LeBron's bitch. He'd move to Fargo to keep that up, is what I took from it.
    But I could be way off. I'm still trying to figure out the guy's exact point or reason for writing it or where the SE or person in charge was when this was being posted.
    How many papers are requiring a pre-posting reading of blogs and how many are just letting writers post away?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw the thread title and had a flashback.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/nov/22/lucky-no-13-windthorst-outlasts-iola-for-class-a/

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

From a good -- like, impeccable, no-doubt-about-it -- source: Brian hates NYC more than anything.

But Moddy, I get your point, and I took away the same thing from the piece. I read Windhorst's coverage daily, and while I think LBJ deserves more criticism than he gets, Windhorst is hardly reluctant to criticize him.

12. imjustagirl

Not doubting anything you said, Junkie. I've heard nothing but good about Windhorst, and I've heard nothing about Isola.

Draft saved Draft deleted