1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Okay here it is.

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Some one said I should do a game wrap up, get all the important facts and something interesting about the game in 200 words. Here is what I wrote. Any help, advice, or anything like that would be appreciated.

Duke 78, Baylor 71
    Houston- The number one seeded Blue Devils (33-5),who were led by 29 points from junior Nolan Smith, prevailed over the third seeded Baylor Bears (28-8), in front of 47,492 fans at Reliant Stadium for South Regional Championship.
    Duke, who will take on West Virginia next Saturday in the national semi-final, won despite troubles shooting the ball for Kyle Singler, who failed to make a field goal in the game, however 22 offense rebounds as a team and 49 points from the tandem of Smith and Scheyer helped them defeat the Bears, who were led by 22 points from LaceDarius Dunn, along with 18 points and 5 blocks from center Ekope Udoh.
    The turning point in the game came after a Nolan Smith missed free throw, with the game tied, and just under 4 minutes left to play.
    Senior Lance Thomas grabbed one of his nine rebounds and threw it to Smith in the corner, who buried a very important three pointer. Scheyer hit another three, on the next Duke possession that put a nail in the Bears' coffin. "Those two 3s in a row, by Nolan and then Jon, those were big-time plays," Krzyzewski said. "The big guys kicked it out and those are the best 3s to take."
    The Blue Devils are heading to there first Final Four since 2004, and their 11th under Krzyzewski.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm not going to tear this apart. The main items are grammar. Show it to your English teacher and see how they mark it up.

As for the content in your story, read game stories on newspaper Web sites, especially the larger papers in the country. You'll see a mixture of short stories and longer game stories. I know you're young, so this is the time to read as much as you can.

Here are several short game stories - aka capsules - from the NCAA women's tournament.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_14776903

3. Thanks. I was doing grammar around 11.30 so my brain my have not really have been there.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You'll be writing plenty of these things, if not longer pieces, at 11:30, so work on endurance with that brain.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Try working an interesting fact into the intro. Readers will care more about how the game was won rather than what the attendance was.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're still up at 11:30 on a school night, you need to reevaluate your priorities. Stop playing sports writer and get to bed. If I didn't get 8 hours of sleep in junior high, the next day wasn't too fun.

7. It was a Sunday on spring break. I slept in until 10:30 so I was ok.

8. First, thanks to everyone who helped me on the Baylor vs.Duke recap. I was going to edit it, but I felt that I should try to write another recap. So here it is of the NIT Final.

Dayton Wins First NIT Title Since 1968
    New York- Marcus Johnson scored 20 points, and Tournament MVP Chris Johnson added 14 including, a big 3 pointer, that he followed up with a slam dunk to put Dayton ahead by 9 points with just under four minutes left in the game. The Flyers (25-12) never looked back, beating the 2009 National Champion, North Carolina 79-68. It is the Flyers third title (they won the NIT in 1962 and 1968) in their 22nd appearance in the NIT.
    The Tar Heels (20-17) while failing to be the first team ever to win the National Championship in one season and then in the following season win the NIT, did make history as senior Deon Thompson (who added 13 points in 10 rebounds) played in his 152 career game, which gave him the NCAA record for most games played in a career.
    Will Graves led the way for the Tar Heels with 25 points, as he broke out of a 7-33 slump for the 3 point range, as he shoot 7-14 from beyond the arc. The only other starting senior, who was hurt during last years national title run, Marcus Ginyard had only 2 points to end a disappointing senior year which started with a pre-season rank of 6 in the AP poll.

Draft saved Draft deleted