1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you meant 239 and 242 ... otherwise I'd worry!! As to people's observations that you look like you're still losing weight, this was my experience too. Even if the scale isn't changing, I find that my body went through a process of redistribution.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right about the typo. Good catch.

3. Smallpotatoes

Now I'm 236, 41 pounds lost.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's fantastic man. I'm 235, but that range is one that I am quite familiar with. :D

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Frustration. Started walking ... got up to a 2.6-mile loop and then a 3-mile loop. Then the left knee started hurting really bad. Not so much while walking, but later at night. Even affected being able to sleep.

Rest of the body was starting to feel the positive effects, but the knee just makes walking 5-6 times a week not possible.

6. Smallpotatoes

If you can find a chiropractor who does ART and Graston, that could help. It helped me. Regularly foam rolling my quads has also helped.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

After years of treating my body like crap and eating like I'm 19 and not twice that, the past nine months have been really, really good. Oh, and I left the newspaper biz nine months ago.

I spent Sunday going through my clothes and delightfully chucking all of the things that are now way too big for me. It's quite a satisfying feeling.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Do you wear orthotics? I got custom jobs about 5 years ago and it's made a world of difference for my knees, hips and back.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Celebrated 120 pounds lost since March yesterday. My only problem has been that this thing has taken over my life. The exercise, the eating, it's really all I think about. I'm addicted to losing weight. I'm going to have to find another hobby in a few months when I reach my goal. Maybe I'll take up cocaine.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

First, congratulations! And second .. not to worry. When you reach your goal you'll start obsessing about keeping it off. :-\

11. Smallpotatoes

Great job, Brian.
    I'm now fluctuating between 234 and 236. The pattern I seem to follow now is to fluctuate for a month or so, then drop 3-4 pounds.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is actually one of the very real issues people can have with weight loss and the constant commitment it takes to maintain it.

It really is, essentially, trading one addiction for another, unless and until any "need," emotional or otherwise, is taken out of the equation. Eating must become only a very small function of survival, and that's all -- not something to be enjoyed, looked forward to, or needed in order to deal with any stress, anxiety or emotional upheaval -- or boredom or social void in your life.

Otherwise, the weight will come back on once your commitment and perfect adherence to any eating plan and/or exercise routine is abandoned or lessened.

Draft saved Draft deleted