1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am young and looking for a critique of my work

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 12, 2010.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

As for your recap items, what you should do is read the Major League Baseball round-up, the NBA and WNBA round-ups, the NFL game recaps, the NHL round-ups in newspapers, and write yours like those, with the most pertinent highlights highest up in the items.

What you're looking for, beyond the leading scorers and top statistics and/or the key highlights of the turning points of the games, are interesting facts of either the historical or statistical or personal variety that you might not see or find in the box-/line-score or agate.

Notice the types of facts included, the order of things presented, and the repetitiveness of them. Then, do that, over and over, until it becomes a formula -- that's what it is. Think of it as painting by numbers. That will help you think about and notice things, and understand, so that you really get it down.

In short, read what's in newspaper recaps, and write your things like that. There's a reason that they're done that way, and that style of writing can be applied to any level of sports writing, even the high school games that you may eventually cover for a paper as a stringer.

If you write your high school gamers like that, and do them well, with the rules of good English and grammar applied, and most importantly, make deadlines, you will make friends in a newsroom.

And, you will keep getting called on for more work.

2. Thank you. Actually when I write this I usually have a game recap of the same sport from the AP. I do need to include more facts then numbers, but definitely looking at an AP gamer while writing my NIT final one helped a lot. Thanks for your suggestion.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My thesis is due next week for my Doctorate. Would a few of you be willing to have a look and make some suggestion. Its a tad long - 1500 pages but the help would me much appreciated.

4. I have tried not to respond however, did I do something to provoke this comment?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Boom is just having some fun. Lighten up and don't feel like you have to respond.

6. I sent him a PM as many people said I should do. However after 5 days I got no response, so I had to post it here.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes. You signed up as a sock puppet.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Go out and get some fresh air if you are really in eighth grade. Don't waste your time trying to get into sports writing. There's always community college down the road.

9. I also have dealt with you. The overwhelming evidence points to me not being drip. However believe what you want. Also, stitch what is the matter now? I thought we were okay with each other?

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and the oscar goes to ...

11. Greg Pickel

Greg Pickel Member

I can't believe this thread is still going, wow!

My best advice is to keep reading, anything you can. It's amazing what you can learn, not only general knowledge, but grammar knowledge as well, just by continuing to read.

Draft saved Draft deleted