1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am young and looking for a critique of my work

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Only perfect practice makes you perfect.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

However, you aren't going to have perfect practice for a very long time. And some don't ever get all the way there, but they get close enough. Even if you do achieve perfection in practice, it doesn't ensure that when you're doing it for real that every article is going to be Pulitzer Prize-worthy.

The main thing holding you back right now (aside from your age and the obvious limitations of opportunity that comes with that) is your grammar and style errors. You shouldn't only pay attention to what your English teacher (and the rest of them too) say about the articles you post here. You should watch what they say about your everyday homework assignments.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

this attitude needs to go

4. I have no attitude, just stating the facts. I show no disrespect to anyone here.

5. Thanks. I plan on buying On Writing Well, and The Elements of Style (I checked both out of the library.) for reference on grammar.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No, that's not the case. You're extremely disrespectful. On this and other threads, you've been given suggestions, and you've blown them off with excuses. Your "rewrite it for me" is basically "do my homework, I'm too lazy." That's disrespect.

So is throwing a quote at someone's attempt at illustrating your illusion that if you practice alone it doesn't matter. Thing is, you're so arrogant you don't even recognize the disrepect.

You come by it honestly, so we're trying to excuse it. You're enthusiastic, so that's promising. But if you ask for help and blow it off, it makes people less inclined to help you.

Perfect practice is for those who have the skills already. You don't go to a child's piano concert and hear much Mozart. T-ball players experiment with many positions.

Develop the skills first. That means practicing on your own. Take the suggestions. Read. Journal. Visit the library. Accept criticism.

If you read the other threads that have offered other young writers advice, you'll see a recurring theme: if you just love sports, it won't work. You must love writing.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

Sounds like you haven't blown off every suggestion. But here's where I found a sure sign of disrespect:

When you said, re: the Baylor vs. Duke recap, "I was going to edit it, but I felt that I should try to write another recap. So here it is of the NIT Final."

If you don't edit your own work, it means you don't care about it.

To post something without polishing it, and then ask for a critique it means that you've transferred the editing burden to the professionals on this site.

What I would suggest is that you post only your best work here. It will showcase your strengths better, and when you've posted something you think is immune to criticism and receive comments, then you will really begin to learn.

As for who can offer you opinions on your practice stories -- you might ask your peers in school, especially if they are grammar wizards. Or, even better, when you write a recap, check a couple of papers the next day to see what was published about the game. Study how the pros constructed their pieces and try to follow the pattern. Later, after you've figured out which facts seem to be most important and how to put them in order, and paid close attention to capitalization, spelling, and commas, then you can start to get a bit more creative in your writing.

Just one caveat -- sportswriting these days is full of cliches. Avoid them at all costs. To that end, try to select newspapers and magazines whose sports sections are of the highest quality. (And do not try to write the way TV commentators speak)

Good luck.

I'm looking forward to reading your very best work

8. I was on on vacation. Had I been home I would have.

9. I am not sure I agree but I do need to be more mature, and accept criticism. And if I cam off as "Re-write for me" I am sorry. I am looking for "If you were the editor, what changes would you make." So I could avoid those mistakes again.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Another smart alec remark. We're waiting for your best work, not something you type out at 11 p.m. Anyone can write a game recap, give us more. Tell us a story from your own community. If I were the editor, I want something that is something that wouldn't get a D if you turned it in as an assignment. Once you get your grammar down in a few months, try posting something else.

11. I disagree, he asked why I did not edit my article. My reason was that I left, Monday and did not return until 11 pm on Wednesday. So I have a pad of notes, and tips gathered from here, jotted down the ones from that story, and felt that it would help me more to write another one. And I would like to do a big story (one that I spend a week or two on) but I have no ideas. If anyone has suggestions for article it would be appreciated.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

POP,

Please, STOP answering every post or assertion that others are making about you. You have a potential gold mine here of information, experience and willing professionals to help you. It is up to you to use it correctly, don't over-use it, and, most of all, don't abuse it.

Just read the the posts and take them in, quietly and on your own, think about what we're saying, and quit having answers/excuses for everything.

Or, even if you do have a response, and feel picked on and inclined to give it, DON'T always do it. THAT -- it's called restraint -- is a sign of maturity, and oftentimes, it is also the better part of wisdom.

You do have an attitude, and if you want our input, it needs to stop. Otherwise, you're just showing that you don't actually want our help, thoughts or valuable feedback.

If that is the case, well...come back when you do, maybe a few years from now.

Draft saved Draft deleted