1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Press Conference

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Re: Tiger Woods Press Conferenece

Well I heard from Furman Bisher that what really happened was...

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's the money shot. Accenture, of course, was a Tiger sponsor and jumped ship fairly quick once all this broke. I guarantee you Tiger is having this statement now to shove it up Accenture's ass (overshadowing their tournament), and he will never play in the match play again as long as Accenture's name is on the door.

edit: What Inky said.

edit2: Perhaps "money shot" wasn't a great choice of words ;D

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Where does it say no questions allowed?

4. Re: Tiger Woods Press Conferenece

I can understand the limited media line ... Who should be there? TMZ? Us Weekly? The Big Lead?
    If its at the Tour HQ, I'm guessing Ferguson, Golf Digest, ESPN, the Golf Channel and maybe any other major papers who have a full-time golf beat writer will be allowed to attend. But why let NY Post Page Six writer or TMZ or Inside Edition attend?

My only real question was if the damn thing would be carried live by the major networks. What the hell else is on at 11 a.m. at Friday that would draw those kinds of ratings?
    I'll bet ESPN, the Golf Channel will air live. I'm also betting FoxNews, CNN, CBS and ABC will be trying to get is aired live as well.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Think I'd do the same, hack ... and I'd have a long talk with my editor on whether it's worth my time to staff it, or we just pick up Ferguson's verbal fellatiostory. I have a huge problem with newsmakers that call a presser, then read their statement and walk off the dais without taking questions. I'm also sympathetic with boycott talk, but my wounded ego not the story, Tiger is. An interested reader is going to find the story somewhere, and I'd prefer it be mine.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

And if some of the details that have leaked out are true, then a crime has possibly been covered up. That's a problem.

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

Exactly. And don't lay this on the golf press. If Kobe Bryant held a press conference with no questions several years ago, how many NBA writers would pass that up? If Barry Bonds has a presser about steroids tomorrow with no questions, how many baseball writers are passing it up?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's a big if, hack. And what crime are you talking about?

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

It doesn't, of course. I am guessing that little bit of information will be announced at 11 a.m. on Friday.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Hell yes it was a great choice.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And what the Accenture CEO ought to be doing right now is getting the PGA Tour commissioner and saying, "You know those millions we're supposed to pony up this week? We're not paying a dime. You're supposed to be helping promote this event and one of your members is doing this. You don't like it? Sue us."

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just like you're guessing a crime has been committed and is being covered up.

Draft saved Draft deleted