1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Press Conference

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Re: Tiger Woods Press Conferenece

But what?

Are you a journo?

Have you ever heard of Tiger Woods? How the hell is he not in a position to dicate such a thing? THE SOB could call a presser at PGA Tour headquarters demand that anyone who covers it has to stand on one foot and recite "Mary Had a Little Lamb" backwards.
    If you cover PGA golf, you cover Tiger.

I don't agree with what he did or what he is doing, but to suggest a boycot is a tad ridiculous.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Tiger Woods Press Conferenece

From Ferguson's AP story: "Woods' agent says the media will be limited." Seriously, show some balls, media. It's at a normal tour event. Unless anyone with event credentialing gets in, boycott it. Tell them to just e-mail the three-minute video since that's all there's going to be anyway.

But knowing the golf press, I'm sure people are campaigning for one of the limited spots, so they can be "insiders."

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

Why not? There's less hard news value to this than there are to many political "press conferences," and plenty of those don't allow reporters to ask anything.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

However this thing is coordinated, I want to hear the questions.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Was it the Tryptophan?

What color shirts does he wear on Fridays?

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

If you're a reporter, you want to be in that room. It doesn't mean you can't emphasize the "took no questions" part, but being in the room is better than not being in the room.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Well, I guess his faced is all healed up.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Please tell me how. In this day and age, Doug Ferguson et al. will know nothing more about that press conference than I will if I choose to watch the video. They can bring me nothing without the ability to ask questions. They have no independence if they have to be "accepted" into the room. And they are a staging prop in the Woods camp's continued image-control tactics. A Coors Light commercial has more journalistic integrity.

This situation has played out at every level of news, including the White House. A journalist would fight the fight.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Conference. Not conferenece. [/crabbycopyeditor]

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hear ya, but tell me how you fight this? He'll be ushered in, make statement, ushered out. Anyone barking anything won't be answered. And my guess is the "limited" media there won't include many of the barking types. It will be as controlled as his Web site statements, except the statement's lips will move this time.

Of course it's b.s., but he *will* face questions at some point when he's playing again. Just wait.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In other news, Elin has been granted a sponsor's exemption to qualifying for the Masters.

She's already proven that she can beat Tiger.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yeah, I'm a journo. I just have a problem with him being able to dictate terms of a presser in this situation. Of course it will get covered, and of course his little dog-and-pony show will be standing-room only.

And of course I'll run something on it, because it's what we do. But I'll make damn sure the "took no questions" bit is in there, if that ends up being the case.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted