Author Topic: Tiger Woods Press Conference  (Read 34349 times)

Offline spnited

• "We are not the story. We are the story tellers."
Re: Tiger Woods Press Conferenece
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
Where does it say no questions allowed?

Offline Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!

• "Mom," he says. He pauses. "Someone tea-bagged me.
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
I can understand the limited media line ... Who should be there? TMZ? Us Weekly? The Big Lead?
If its at the Tour HQ, I'm guessing Ferguson, Golf Digest, ESPN, the Golf Channel and maybe any other major papers who have a full-time golf beat writer will be allowed to attend. But why let NY Post Page Six writer or TMZ or Inside Edition attend?

My only real question was if the damn thing would be carried live by the major networks. What the hell else is on at 11 a.m. at Friday that would draw those kinds of ratings?
I'll bet ESPN, the Golf Channel will air live. I'm also betting FoxNews, CNN, CBS and ABC will be trying to get is aired live as well.
"If Jesus Christ were to show up with His old baseball glove, some guys wouldn't vote for Him. He dropped the cross three times, didn't He?"
Dick Young

Offline HanSenSE

• Holy Toledo!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »
He will not be taking questions.

The height of chutzpah, if true.

No questions. Thank you for coming today, statement, goodbye.

If true, then the media should boycott the presser. Not going to happen I'm guessing, but ...

This douchebag is in no position to dictate the terms of anything, let alone a press conference.

But what?

Are you a journo?

Have you ever heard of Tiger Woods? How the hell is he not in a position to dicate such a thing? THE SOB could call a presser at PGA Tour headquarters demand that anyone who covers it has to stand on one foot and recite "Mary Had a Little Lamb" backwards.
If you cover PGA golf, you cover Tiger.

I don't agree with what he did or what he is doing, but to suggest a boycot is a tad ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm a journo. I just have a problem with him being able to dictate terms of a presser in this situation. Of course it will get covered, and of course his little dog-and-pony show will be standing-room only.

And of course I'll run something on it, because it's what we do. But I'll make damn sure the "took no questions" bit is in there, if that ends up being the case.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Think I'd do the same, hack ... and I'd have a long talk with my editor on whether it's worth my time to staff it, or we just pick up Ferguson's verbal fellatiostory. I have a huge problem with newsmakers that call a presser, then read their statement and walk off the dais without taking questions. I'm also sympathetic with boycott talk, but my wounded ego not the story, Tiger is. An interested reader is going to find the story somewhere, and I'd prefer it be mine.
This ain't the school yearbook. We publish every day.

"You're a baseball fan, not a Labrador." - Mike Krukow.

"That's the ball game ... I'm gonna barf." Duane Kuiper

Offline fishhack2009

• Godspeed and thanks for your service, three_bags
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm a journo. I just have a problem with him being able to dictate terms of a presser in this situation.

What is the situation, actually? A professional athlete cheated madly on his wife. He didn't kill anyone, commit crimes against society, he's not going to jail or standing trial. He's going to get up there, say he is horribly sorry for his actions and plans to spend the rest of his life working hard to be a better person, and he plans to get back to golf whenever.

I would guess the 'whenever' will be part of the statement.

Otherwise, he's just a publicly humiliated celebrity.

And if some of the details that have leaked out are true, then a crime has possibly been covered up. That's a problem.
"In the department store of human affairs, sports is, after all, the toy department."

--Ed "Superfan" Bieler

The Brett Favre Shuffle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Offline Crash

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
From Ferguson's AP story: "Woods' agent says the media will be limited." Seriously, show some balls, media. It's at a normal tour event. Unless anyone with event credentialing gets in, boycott it. Tell them to just e-mail the three-minute video since that's all there's going to be anyway.

But knowing the golf press, I'm sure people are campaigning for one of the limited spots, so they can be "insiders."

If you're a reporter, you want to be in that room. It doesn't mean you can't emphasize the "took no questions" part, but being in the room is better than not being in the room.

Exactly. And don't lay this on the golf press. If Kobe Bryant held a press conference with no questions several years ago, how many NBA writers would pass that up? If Barry Bonds has a presser about steroids tomorrow with no questions, how many baseball writers are passing it up?

Offline spnited

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »
That's a big if, hack. And what crime are you talking about?

Offline fishhack2009

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »

It doesn't, of course. I am guessing that little bit of information will be announced at 11 a.m. on Friday.
"In the department store of human affairs, sports is, after all, the toy department."

--Ed "Superfan" Bieler

The Brett Favre Shuffle:

Offline Chef2

• "I can feel me....going on A1 Tonight...OH YEAH!"
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
AP moving a story with some details on the presser:

Tiger to hold news conference Friday
DOUG FERGUSON,AP Golf Writer

MARANA, Ariz. (AP) Tiger Woods will end nearly three months of silence Friday when he speaks to the media for the first time about his middle-of-the-night accident that sparked shocking revelations about his infidelity.

Woods will talk to a small group of reporters at 11 a.m. Friday from the clubhouse of the TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., home of the PGA Tour.

"This is all about the next step," Mark Steinberg, his agent, told The Associated Press. "He's looking forward to it."

Steinberg said he would speak to a "small group of friends, colleagues and close associates" about his past and what he plans next, along with apologizing for his behavior.

He said three wire services would be invited, and he was asking the Golf Writers Association of America to pick a small group of reporters to serve as a pool. Steinberg said there would be one pool camera, but it would be available live via satellite.

The news conference will be held during the Accenture Match Play Championship in Arizona, and is sure to steal attention away from the first big event of the year. Accenture was the first sponsor to drop Woods when he became embroiled in a sex scandal.

"It was a matter of timing," Steinberg said.

When asked if the news conference could have waited until after Accenture's tournament, he replied, "No."

That's the money shot. Accenture, of course, was a Tiger sponsor and jumped ship fairly quick once all this broke. I guarantee you Tiger is having this statement now to shove it up Accenture's ass (overshadowing their tournament), and he will never play in the match play again as long as Accenture's name is on the door.

edit: What Inky said.

edit2: Perhaps "money shot" wasn't a great choice of words  ;D

Hell yes it was a great choice.

"Alright bitches, get in the tub. You're on the clock." Bubbler on Orvile Redenbacher
Reasons to keep Les Miles: he is clearly the luckiest motherfucker to ever live.
Reasons to fire Les Miles: everything else

Thanks aqb.

Offline trifectarich

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
And what the Accenture CEO ought to be doing right now is getting the PGA Tour commissioner and saying, "You know those millions we're supposed to pony up this week? We're not paying a dime. You're supposed to be helping promote this event and one of your members is doing this. You don't like it? Sue us."
Greg: What do you intend to do, sir? Delta's already on probation.
Dean Wormer: They are?
Greg: Yes, sir.
Dean Wormer: Oh. Then as of this moment, they're on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!

Offline spnited

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »

It doesn't, of course. I am guessing that little bit of information will be announced at 11 a.m. on Friday.

Just like you're guessing a crime has been committed and is being covered up.

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »

MARANA, Ariz. (AP) Tiger Woods will end nearly three months of silence Friday when he speaks to the media for the first time about his middle-of-the-night accident that sparked shocking revelations about his infidelity.

Woods will talk to a small group of reporters at 11 a.m. Friday from the clubhouse of the TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., home of the PGA Tour.

"This is all about the next step," Mark Steinberg, his agent, told The Associated Press. "He's looking forward to it."

Steinberg said he would speak to a "small group of friends, colleagues and close associates" about his past and what he plans next, along with apologizing for his behavior.

He said three wire services would be invited, and he was asking the Golf Writers Association of America to pick a small group of reporters to serve as a pool. Steinberg said there would be one pool camera, but it would be available live via satellite.

The news conference will be held during the Accenture Match Play Championship in Arizona, and is sure to steal attention away from the first big event of the year. Accenture was the first sponsor to drop Woods when he became embroiled in a sex scandal.

When asked if the news conference could have waited until after Accenture's tournament, he replied, "No."

That's the money shot. Accenture, of course, was a Tiger sponsor and jumped ship fairly quick once all this broke. I guarantee you Tiger is having this statement now to shove it up Accenture's ass (overshadowing their tournament), and he will never play in the match play again as long as Accenture's name is on the door.

I don't think a Friday morning presser is going fuck Accenture - since Sat. and Sunday are the only rounds televised live on networl TV.
I'm guessing the presser is set for Fri. because the cutoff for the tournament that Tiger playing is also Fri. Judging by the remarks at the end of the story, It might be a safe bet, Tiger will be playing next week at the Phoenix Open or an overseas event.
"If Jesus Christ were to show up with His old baseball glove, some guys wouldn't vote for Him. He dropped the cross three times, didn't He?"
Dick Young

Offline LongTimeListener

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
From Ferguson's AP story: "Woods' agent says the media will be limited." Seriously, show some balls, media. It's at a normal tour event. Unless anyone with event credentialing gets in, boycott it. Tell them to just e-mail the three-minute video since that's all there's going to be anyway.

But knowing the golf press, I'm sure people are campaigning for one of the limited spots, so they can be "insiders."

If you're a reporter, you want to be in that room. It doesn't mean you can't emphasize the "took no questions" part, but being in the room is better than not being in the room.

Exactly. And don't lay this on the golf press. If Kobe Bryant held a press conference with no questions several years ago, how many NBA writers would pass that up? If Barry Bonds has a presser about steroids tomorrow with no questions, how many baseball writers are passing it up?

Despite what would have seemed to be ample opportunity, neither of those things ever happened, probably because their sports' media policy never allowed them to be such controlling douchebags. So I think your hypothesis is proved to be complete crap. Kobe was facing 20 years in jail, and he took questions.

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:31 PM »
This will not end well.

There is not a PR flak in the country that can properly coach Tiger on how to go up there and not sound like a bitter, condescending prick.

If I was coaching him, I would tell him to start sobbing uncontrollably, make a reference of how he was glad his father didn't live to see this, beg for forgiveness from his family apologize to everyone and continue sobbing so much that he has to walk out.

I think that's the only way some would start to feel sorry for him.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline fishhack2009

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
That's a big if, hack. And what crime are you talking about?

Domestic battery, if the story about the her hitting him with the golf club is true. And you are right, it's a very big "if."

But look at the way this was handled from the start: Tiger and the wife first blew off the police daily for what, 3 days? Then they blew them off for good.

None of this passes the smell test for me.

--Ed "Superfan" Bieler

The Brett Favre Shuffle:

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »
I'm surprised he didn't do this the Friday before the Super Bowl.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »

The story I saw on FoxNews.com reported there would be no questions.
Dick Young

Offline spnited

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »
So why didn't Tiger press charges and make her look bad instead of just him coming out looking like the cheating bastards and she's the poor innocent wife?
Your specualtion escapes me.

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »
There's no way in hell he will take questions.

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »
This is what we'll learn.

This was a private matter than he is dealing with with his family. He's sorry. Now leave him alone.

Offline Inky_Wretch

• "No one cares about your fantasy team." [/spnited]
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:38 PM »

I don't think a Friday morning presser is going fuck Accenture - since Sat. and Sunday are the only rounds televised live on networl TV.
I'm guessing the presser is set for Fri. because the cutoff for the tournament that Tiger playing is also Fri. Judging by the remarks at the end of the story, It might be a safe bet, Tiger will be playing next week at the Phoenix Open or an overseas event.

Phoenix? Home of the rowdiest crowd on the PGA Tour? No way Tiger shows up there.
Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice.

Offline playthrough

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »

Of course it will fuck Accenture. The fallout will easily overshadow two more days of golf -- and the final two days of the match play, sans Tiger, aren't riveting anyway. Gotta fill the dead time and it will all be Tiger talk.
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Offline Trey Beamon

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »

The story I saw on FoxNews.com reported there would be no questions.

It is mentioned in the headline and second graph of ESPN's story:

MARANA, Ariz. -- Tiger Woods will end nearly three months of silence Friday when he speaks publicly for the first time since his middle-of-the-night car accident sparked stunning revelations of infidelity.

However, his agent said Woods will not take any questions from a small group of media.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4921899

Offline LongTimeListener

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 12:56:11 PM »
And also that he'd like to thank Nike for standing behind him.

Offline fishhack2009

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
So why didn't Tiger press charges and make her look bad instead of just hi, coming out looking like the cheating bastards and she's the poor innocent wife?
Your specualtion escapes me.

It's an opinion. Take it for what it's worth. The way this all played out just smells fishy. Tiger and Elin certainly acted like they had something to hide.

--Ed "Superfan" Bieler

The Brett Favre Shuffle:

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:37 PM »

Of course it will fuck Accenture. The fallout will easily overshadow two more days of golf -- and the final two days of the match play, sans Tiger, aren't riveting anyway. Gotta fill the dead time and it will all be Tiger talk.

So you won't watch the Accenture because of the Tiger presser?
I won't watch 'cause I prolly won't care (because Tiger's not playing), but I still don't see how he's fucking Accenture with the presser.
You lost me.
Dick Young