1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IT'S BACK

Dear PR dimwits at a major national baseball tournament bearing the name of a Hall-of-Famer: Thanks for leaving me high-and-dry last night after the local team got eliminated in the national semifinal, especially after a week of sending me enough of a story so I could BS something. But thanks for tweeting the game so I could write a story. And do enjoy the three messages that were left on your phone, in the morning. And do talk to the other PR person about setting up a voicemail box on her cellphone.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I had one of these once. I don't remember the exact crimes, but it was something along the lines of a guy calling saying we published he was arrested on suspicion of DUI, but he wasn't, he was arrested for hitting his girlfriend.

I convinced him he's rather have people think he was a drunk instead of a wife beater and he agreed we didn't need a correction.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This thread has been allowed to slip way too far.

Had an older woman came into the office asking if the paper was a profit or nonprofit because she needs to volunteer at a nonprofit. So first, I guess because we don't make money, you can argue we are a nonprofit, but we are a business. Second, why does this woman need to volunteer and why a nonprofit in particular? Wanting to get her out of my office quick because she seemed a bit off, I didn't ask if she needs to do community service for some unspecified crime.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Guy left an VM wondering why the PGA event wasn't in Thursday's TV listings. Later, before I got in, he'd called back to say he realized the tournament didn't start until Friday. Happens this time every year.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First football Friday of the season and, as I'm walking through the gate, woman says, "you missed the first part. how come?"

Season hasn't officially started and I'm getting whiny JV parents!

6. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Yesterday some older guy called and wanted me to give him the names of everyone who got cut on the in-state NFL team, as well as all notable cuts elsewhere in the league.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Had something similar happen today, only it was at a soccer game.

Mom wondered why I wasn't there to cover the boys' game, which featured a local school vs. a non-local one, as well as the girls, which was between two area schools. Gee, I wonder?

8. HejiraHenry

With Mississippi State's opener on the SEC Network, a couple people called late this afternoon, still puzzled about where that might be on their TVs. ... This is why we've been talking about it for weeks now, so you had time to figure that out.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you like to just turn on your heels and walk out after that? Then let the A.D. know why.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

To be fair about, we really didn't know exactly what channel it was going to be on here until after it launched.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You should have said, "The varsity game started earlier than scheduled? Wish I'd known about it."

12. HejiraHenry

Same here, in terms of Comcast at least. But that still gave folks two weeks to suss it out before Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted