1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

workinsports.com and other job sites...are they legit?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bl67550, Dec 14, 2009.

1. bl67550

bl67550 Member

I have been considering signing up for one of these websites, probably the workinsports.com, to really see if there are opportunities available on there that are not so easily found elsewhere.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with these kinds of websites? Are they legit? Worth the cost?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When I was a newbie I started a thread like this and Moddy told me the best place to find sports jobs was right here. Moddy was right. Be patient. Check the jobs thread regularly.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The best freelance jobs come from this site or through networking. The Web sites that post freelance job listings just want the lowest bidder.

4. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I did one of those three-month memberships with workinsports right out of college and found it completely worthless. That was about three and a half years ago. Most of the jobs were unpaid internships or opportunities I would have found without signing up for the site. I think I ended up only applying for about four jobs I saw on there and one was to be commissioner of a minor hockey league just for kicks.

Most of the stuff you're looking for I think will be posted on this site with feedback from SJ nation. This is the best resource on the Web, IMO. If you're looking for jobs with teams, this link has access to pretty much all the same stuff workinsports has.

http://www.teamworkonline.com/

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I know some of the guys at Teamwork, definitely legit. People from pretty much every team troll that site looking for openings. They created a social networking angle too, not sure if it launched totally yet.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Welp then join them on Linkedin or whatever social networking site for free!

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

To work for a team, Teamwork is the best.

I got my job at the Devil Rays through them. It's not their fault that the job sucked.

Seriously, if you want a marketing or PR job with a team, I'd check out Teamwork.

Also, if Buffy places you somewhere and you do well, she'll come back to you in a couple of years and get you another job. She's done this with/for several of my friends who work for teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted