1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackie Sherrod's 90th birthday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

In my judgment, Kevin makes only one mistake in this. Blackie was always better than the event, and the better the event, the better Blackie was...

The master could write the serious as well as he wrote the comic. Find his anthology with a piece written 40 years later about a day in August 1945 when he flew with a bomber crew at 400 feet over Hiroshima....

"The dominant impression was of ferric oxide, not the deep color of iron rust, but a faded shade. Not a pastel hue, pleasant to the eye. This was a harsh color, harsh and pale at the same time. As far as you could see in that hasty moment, everything wore that same dead, depressing blanket. . . . There seemed to be a strange odor, permeating even the turret of a rushing aircraft, a sort of musty smell, like of old houses, dark and shuttered against the outside. . . . We were aware of no living creature or plant ... we saw nothing but a vast, flat wasteland covered with this pale red dust."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/110809dnsposherrington.45ff70d.html

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The great Blackie Sherrod.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Wow.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Scattershooting while wondering what ever happened to journalists like Sherrod...

He might not have been the best, but I still wish I had just half his talent.

5. A giant. He was in SF for the 89 series and after the quake spent the next week filing reports from the scene. Some of the best reporting you'll ever read.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Blackie Sherrod and others like him - Murray, Jenkins, Smith, et. al. - made sportswriting what is today. We all owe them our thanks.

Have a good one, Blackie.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some hither, others yon.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what a hack! ;D

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Will this occur in the future?

If newspapers, in whatever format they may take, send reporters to an event and a natural disaster occurs, will they have the guts, intelligence and wherewithal to tell the reporter to stay for a week and provide coverage? Or would the management recall the troops, save the pennies and look for a local kitten to write about?

I hope the former.

Draft saved Draft deleted