1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Atlanta-Journal Constitution - Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bsenftleber, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bsenftleber

bsenftleber New Member

BEAT REPORTER/ NBA-HAWKS-GENERAL SPORTS
    for Atlanta Journal-Constitution/ajc.com

Job description:

Primary focus is covering the NBA and the Atlanta Hawks in the NBA’s Eastern Conference for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Must also be able to write about other sports.
    -- Must bring not only deep reporting experience but an eye for the unusual story, and a keen ability to routinely write significant stories beyond basic beat coverage.
    -- Must bring a depth of experience covering the NBA, a vast storehouse of sources and the ability to build more.
    --Must demonstrate superb grasp of sports business since the Hawks’ ownership often makes as much news off the court as the team makes on it.
    --Must be nimble, breaking news quickly on ajc.com, blogging throughout the week, and unveiling intriguing trends in print that would appeal to the readership of a general interest newspaper.
    --Must enjoy storytelling, writing great cover stories on other sports beyond the NBA.

Qualifications:
    --Minimum of 5 years of related experience as beat reporter with a major daily newspaper or other comparable news organization covering the NBA or a professional sports team in another sport.
    --Demonstrated ability to break news on a sports beat.
    --Proven ability to write concisely, clearly and with authority. Minimal editing required.
    --Demonstrated competency in both digital and print platforms.
    --Capacity to take advantage of all current forms of reporting, news gathering and research.
    --College graduate preferred

To apply:
    Email cover letter, resume and list of references by Nov. 9 to:
    Barbara Senftleber, Newsroom Development Editor
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Atlanta, GA
    bsenftleber@ajc.com

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't Rana Cash doing recruiting for the AJC at one point? Used to be the GT writer? Is she still there?

That aside and on topic, good to see they are opening this one up.

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Rana was there at least two years ago. I don't know if she is still there.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

They don't want you to send clips?

Think that was an mistaken omission? Or, is this a pre-interview step by HR, paring down the field for the sports department, and then those left will send in clips?

Guess I will be emailing Barbara to ask...

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

wow...this is what the fifth major newspaper to have an opening in the last month? It feels like 2002 all over again.

6. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

They may have just forgotten to ask for clips, but if you're bringing five years of experience from a major daily on a professional beat, they probably assume you can write and they'll have no problem finding your clips on their own.

7. apseloser

apseloser Member

I'm surprised they're not just promoting a part-time designer from the Living section, which is about what they've done with Georgia Tech and the Thrashers (now covered by two lifelong line editors).

Apply with caution. A job is a job, I suppose, but this is not your granddaddy's AJ-C. It has gone from one of the best in the nation (Triple Crown in 2007 if APSE site is accurate) to, depending on the day, one of the best in metro Atlanta.

My parents live outside Marietta and subscribe to 2 papers. I say this with all seriousness: Several days a week, the Marietta Journal has more space in sports and is a more interesting read than the AJ-C. I saw a recent sports front with 3 wire stories on it. That never used to happen.

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I can confirm, first-hand, that Rana is still at the AJC. She's doing a thrifty spending blog for the paper. Not sure if she's still also doing recruiting or not.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How many writers are they down to, a dozen? I picked it up in April, a Friday I'm pretty sure, and the section was four pages. I wanted to cry. Always been one of my favorite papers.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I agree. What is the paper at best most days, 40-50 pages? When I went through there it was 120 on a Thursday. That was LAST YEAR. The AJC has really come down.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The writers:
    O'Brien
    Ledbetter
    I'm assuming Sekou Smith is moving on from this listing
    Carroll Rogers
    Tim Tucker
    Chip Towers
    Chris Vivlamore
    Mark Bradley
    Jeff Schultz
    Steve Hummer, though I don't think he's full-time sports. He's general assignment features or something
    Michael Carvell
    Barnhart is a contract writer, not actually on staff
    Tech blogger
    UGA blogger
    HBCU blogger

That's about it. If I missed any, there weren't many.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

anyone know where sekou is going?

Draft saved Draft deleted