1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, West Bend, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

SPORTS EDITOR: The West Bend Daily News (circ. 10,000), a division of Conley Publishing Group (CPG), is looking for a full-time Sports Editor for our a.m. production cycle newspaper. Top candidates will have experience as a Sports Editor or Sports Reporter at a daily newspaper, be able to quickly and accurately design pages, be organized and disciplined at coordinating coverage of prep sports at several area high schools, be comfortable leading a staff of two full-time Sports Reporters and be able to take and/or edit photos when needed. Above all, the Sports Editor will be responsible for doing whatever it takes to produce comprehensive and compelling sports pages filled with game coverage, features, photos and local columns. Supervisory experience is a plus. Conley Media is a division of Conley Publishing Group (CPG), an equal opportunity employer offering medical, dental insurance and 401(k). To apply send resume, cover letter, and writing and design samples to: Jill Badzinski, Managing Editor, West Bend Daily News, 100 S. 6th Ave., West Bend, WI 53095 or e-mail to hrd@conleynet.com.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Code words for 'Be prepared to work a 70-hour workweek and don't even think of asking for overtime'.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily...it may just be saying they like a variety in their sports section. It says supervisory experience is a plus, which would mean you have a staff of some sort to lean on.

4. Worked here as a sportswriter a while back (2000-02).

The good: Jill Badzinski is very, very good people. If other factors were different, I would be a sports editor for her in a heartbeat. The high schools in the area you'll cover are pretty solid. West Bend's a decent little town. You're just a skip up Hwy 45 (one of Bubbler's roads, I believe) from Milwaukee.

The bad: Conley Publishing. I wasn't paid well back when I worked there, and that was before today's climate. They have had a lot of layoffs and furloughs. (I know, I know, everybody has. Still merits pointing out.)

5. Eye

Eye New Member

Applied for this one last week. How long before I should expect a response WSW?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

You're hired!

7. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

As a rule of thumb I don't expect to hear back from a job for at least two weeks after it is posted. If you don't hear anything by Nov. 1st, send them a follow up. Heck, send one now asking if they received ALL of your attachments with NO issues.

8. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

There are two high schools in West Bend, East and West. They are located in the same building.

Draft saved Draft deleted