1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin tale about Lupica and Mickelson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JohnnyChan, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I read the HuffPo piece for about two minutes before I realized:
    1) This guy must not have covered many golf tournaments. Anytime it rains and you get lots of mud, it smells like a barnyard (like the last time I went to Augusta before this year). That, and he also had "There was no test drives" in there. I'm no big fan of Lupica — I did love the line in the comments about the trunk and the airport long term parking — but come on, pal, what did you expect?
    And I've met Chi Chi and he is well worth the trouble to go talk to.
    2) I could have spent that time reading that piece (and posting this) going to Chick-fil-A instead.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sportswriter Mike Lupica ( center green plaid) leads Phil Mickelson and his gallery of fans to the 14th green.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Okay, that's fucking funny. :D

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's WAY funny.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was true. I was there. And Loopy didn't show up until Sunday, then went into a rage during a news conference after play was suspended, ripping into David Fay about starting the final round at 3 p.m. for TV, and risking having darkness end play because there was a delay.

Mike must have had a reservation somewhere later that night.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is it too early for post of the year speculation? I almost emptied my bladder laughing.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I love this from the HuffPost article:<blockquote>You saw the monsoons on the course, but what you missed was the deep wells of mud everywhere else. It was Tiger Woodstock. It was everywhere. It smelled like manure, or maybe that's just Long Island.</blockquote>Too bad the Lexus photog didn't get a pic of Loopy.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They did - turns out Luppy slipped and fell on his way to the 18th tee box:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mediator

Mediator Member

Actually, in that shot he's walking upright.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I know Mitch Albom a little bit, but in all my travels, I never had the opportunity to deal with or even talk to Lupica, and I have to say, there's almost a morbid curiosity about it now. I've known my share of, well, insert your own word here, but he sounds like he's on an entirely different plane.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm sure there's a waitress in Royal Oak who's been dressed down by the Dwarf who would beg to differ.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

To those who know him, what is his deal? Does he have a Napoleon complex - little man wanting to be treated like a big guy so he acts like a total douchebag??

Draft saved Draft deleted