1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin tale about Lupica and Mickelson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JohnnyChan, Jun 25, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

An "anonym"? JohnnyChan has said various times on here who he/she is. Nice reporting, deadspin.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do these pants make my butt look big?

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup. #DeadspinFail

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not cool enough to appreciate the coolness of "anonyms" as shorthand for "anonymous people." I'm going to try to float "anonos" and see if it sticks.

As in "Hey, Guy With Real Name, what's with all the anonos on here?"

fondly,

mediaguy

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

Then what are homonyms again?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

6. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

If you're talking about the "walking in front of Phil" part, yes, that often happens when we have "media" armbands that allow us to walk inside the ropes. You can get in front of a player by accident even...though you're supposed to walk within an arm's reach of the gallery rope....on that par-3, it was nearly impossible to walk near the ropes....I saw Mike several times inside the ropes and, yes, people called out to him and he spoke with them -- he's a NY sports-media celebrity....not my cup of tea, grandstanding, but he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't...at least he was on the course, working...

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That was basically my point....a random observer/car-blogger might see that differently than you would. Was this really a noteworthy offense (when there are perhaps so many others to choose from)?

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

I've covered the Open before, and it is protocol not to walk in front of the golfers. Ever. You walk behind them even if you have the inside-the-ropes armband.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No question. But if it wasn't Lupica, would we be talking about it? (Not that I mind talking about it. 8))

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I've walked in front of hundreds of players. Not on their line. Along the ropes but way in front of them. The few times that it has been necessary to walk on the same path, I've stayed behind them -- though even that is not always possible, or even reasonable. When leaving some greens to get to the next tee without causing a delay, I've left in front of players, caddies, scorers, rules people, everybody. The rule of common sense is to make yourself as invisible as possible. I've never once had anyone call me out.

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Aha. I see the difference. To the writer, Lupica would have been in front of Michelson because he was closer to the ropes, not necessarily in front of Michelson's path.

I think I need an aerial photograph and a few graphics to clear this up~

12. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

On the par-3 in question, there was a ravine between the tee and the green and waist-high hay everywhere. The only way to walk from the tee to the green inside the ropes was on the path mowed for the players. The "invisible" thing to do was move outside the ropes and duck back in near the green. Some of us don't care for being invisible. Mike may fall in that category. The second-best thing to do is to fall in far behind the players, again as invisible as you can get. But iit's possible to get caught in a place where you must move ahead of the player. The question then becomes how far in front? A long way, OK. As if he were part of the group, no.

Wow, this is TMI if I ever heard it.

Draft saved Draft deleted