1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin tale about Lupica and Mickelson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JohnnyChan, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

http://deadspin.com/5302243/phil-mickelson-ruined-mike-lupicas-us-open

This is priceless in its own right, but even better if you happened to be in the press room at Winged Foot a few years ago, before the tournament began, when Lip asked one of his patented long-winded questions, and Mickelson pondered his answer for a few seconds, and then, wonderfully, amazingly, magically, said ....

"Well, Mitch ..."

Lupica looked like he'd swallowed a Big Gulp of arsenic after that. Lefty has been a hero to the masses ever since.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ohhhh...now THAT'S funny!

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Funny on many levels. I think it was last week here at sj that some were questioning why Luppy was made fun of around here.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

Agreed that ripping Lupica never gets old.

But I read the original story on the Huffington Post, there's a link to it on the Deadspin post. It was an example to me of what passes as coverage but is really just self-centered "Hey, Look at me! I got a credential to the US Open and I have no fucking clue!"

That's becoming way more pervasive. And it's always annoying. I don't care if you couldn't sell your extra ticket, if you ruined your shoes or if you ran into a friend on 18. Look up! What's happening beyond the end of your own fucking nose?

He wrote a few thousand words and accidently tripped over an interesting tidbit on Lupica because it impacted him personally somehow. Talk about making yourself the story.

The novelty of this kind of writing has worn off for me.

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I can throw stones with the best of them... but this little tidbit just doesn't sound entirely true. Say what you want about Lupica, but do we really think he was out in front of Mickelson, shaking hands with fans and leading the charge to the next tee? Really?
    Sorry, I don't buy it...
    Also, do fans really care about the whereabouts of a columnist? Ugh.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's the lengthier piece from the HP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-sauer/18-rounds-of-soggy-sunny_b_220337.html

The blogger writes about cars and was there as a guest of Lexus. Seems offended that his credential did not carry the same weight as those given to SI.

Has that distinct 'Ooh, There Are Naked People In the Locker Room' feel to it.

That said, it's a great Lupica story if someone else can confirm any part of it.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He blogs about, and does reviews of cars and he accepted a pass from Lexus to the U.S. Open?

I'm sure his reviews are completely unbiased. What an ass.

And from his lede, it's not the first time he's accepted such a freebie:

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Woah Nelly? How does somebody get "Whoa" and "Nellie" wrong? Sorry, couldn't get past that.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

And is there a sillier form of expletive sanitation than writing "fu*king"? Either just write it and move on or do something like f-------. It's like the pasties of expletives -- you're not really covering up that much.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

The other thing that got to me was that the author, Patrick Sauer, saw Charlie Sifford and didn't ask him a question.

"I saw both men as they were leaving and regretted not asking Sifford, 87, his thoughts on the state of golf today."

If you can't even muster the instincts to ask a question, put your USGA-sponsored lunch down and leave. You have officially revealed yourself to be a fraud.

But I'll bet his editors, if he had any, loved this piece because it got hits.

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I laughed at this comment.

"Isn't it about time for someone to stuff Lupica's body in the trunk of a car and leave it in long term parking?"

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Deadspin is linking here: http://deadspin.com/5302467/two-sportswriters-you-meet-in-hell

Time to clean up, everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted