1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Maese to Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought Jason Reid, ex-LAT, was the Redskins' beat guy. Do they have more than one? Am I misinformed?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think they have two day-to-day people, minimum. They always have a swarm around the Skins.

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

How the heck did Rick find himself out of a job?

And also, I'm not sure it matters if he's been a beat guy. Most NFL beats have a nuts and bolts person and a features/takeout person. Like in KC with Kent Babb and Adam Teicher. And clearly, Babb is the guy who gets to write long. As Rick will be.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Rick Maese found himself out of a job because Sam Zell is a greedy, product-wrecking moron.

I think that sums it up nicely.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Good on ya, Rick! I'll enjoy reading you.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

terrific hire. rick will be great on the 'skins beat -- plenty of chances to write take-outs and features as part of the 1-2 punch. great to hear of any great hiring by any newspaper these days. 8) 8) 8)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is his first job as a beat writer.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Really? First job as a beat writer and it's the Redskins beat for the Washington Post? Wow, times have changed.

9. Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure Jason L was the NFL national writer for the Post after graduating off the 'Skins beat (though he live-blogged during the games).
    Good for Maese.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, he became a columnist before he'd ever been a beat writer, so it is safe to say his career path hasn't exactly been typical.

That said, Rick is one of the best writers out there. I can't imagine that he won't be successful.

Draft saved Draft deleted